Sealed battery disadvantages (need to know asap)

Jacobism

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
I need to know all the possible disadvantages of a sealed, non-removable battery. I actually don't intend to use the notebook unplugged, so even if the battery dies it would not be an issue for me. That said, can a sealed "dead" battery harm the notebook in any way? Would I be able to use the notebook plugged in without problems? Is there anything important I should be aware of?

I want to buy a notebook which has the specs I'm looking for as well as positive reviews, and literally the only thing that makes me think twice about it is this sealed battery thing, as I've never had such a notebook before. That's why I wanted to ask the experts here about all the disadvantages.

The only thing I can personally think of is if a liquid is spilled on the machine one wouldn't be able to remove the battery. But aside from that, is a sealed battery in any way problematic for someone like me who intends to use the notebook always plugged in?

Here's the notebook in question: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-N752VX-GC131T-Notebook-Review.161407.0.html

Intended use is CAD, 3D, and some not overly complex video editing. If you think this is not a good choice, please elaborate. Budget is € 1200 and this one is slightly above it which is OK.

Fast replies would be much appreciated, as I intend to buy the notebook tomorrow or Friday the latest.

Thank you all!

herrwizo

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
So, you do not wish to ever use the laptop unplugged. This is the sole reason why anyone should even consider purchasing a portable computer. You would obviously be much better served by a decent desktop computer. Also, desktops have no battery issues, no such intense heat issues, much easier to maintain and clean, easier to upgrade, cheaper and faster for the same budget...

On topic, non-removable battery is not an issue for notebooks which are being used as notebooks, IMO. In your case, battery would be under constant charge/discharge, likely on high charge levels most of the time and CAD/3D means you would put some strain on the CPU and GPU as well, causing high temps which also further decrease life of the battery.

Jacobism

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
Thanks. Well, I have to disagree on your "sole reason" statement. I definitely want and need portability, but I don't care to use it unplugged unless absolutely necessary.

Battery life doesn't interest me, only notebook life. I am interested in disadvantages for the notebook itself. People harming their machines by not using their batteries frequently would be a new one for me, but I need to know for sure before buying. In other words, is there anything to worry about aside from the battery possibly dying sooner?

And can a completely dead sealed battery cause issues for the notebook?

Much appreciated.

herrwizo

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Hmm, if you really need portability, that is a whole different matter.

Battery is being used ALL the time - even when you are using laptop plugged. In fact, when battery dies (depending on the implementation) you might even be unable to power on the laptop, even when plugged - many laptops do not have a bypass and simply run from the battery all the time, regardless of being plugged or not. That is something that needs to be verified prior to purchase, although it would probably be hard to do so. It is easy to check on models with removable battery - you simply remove the battery and try to run plugged - but here it cannot be done.

Jacobism

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
Ugh just what I needed to hear. So I need to find a laptop with my specs but also removable battery.

Mission impossible.

Thanks for your help.

engineer5261

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
Hi OP. The answer to your question really depends on the design and programming of the smart battery controller/charging system and how power prioritization is set up (priority between dock/AC/battery power) and the kind of battery that is used.

herrwizo

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
I believe it is still possible, and worth a shot. In any case, if you can find one, it would be much, much better solution for your intended use.

engineer5261

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
I would consider it a design flaw if a battery is "required" for laptop AC operation and if the battery is sealed (I know this is true for some laptops - MSI's and macbooks). Perhaps the sealed battery unit is replaceable? Certainly it must be serviceable ... perhaps the power/charge circuitry prioritizes AC power over battery power?

If your battery absolutely dies and you find you can not replace it .. there are external batteries you could use (though they are a bit pricey)

Jacobism

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
Thanks for all the input. The problem is I have no way of knowing if a laptop has a removable battery just by looking at the specs. Or is there a way?

Jacobism

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
Ok I've been googling all day and cannot find one site which states that certain laptops cannot run without battery. Can someone show me a link or something? It seems unreal, especially if it's sealed.

ex_bubblehead

Distinguished
herrwizo is incorrect. When plugged in, the power brick, not the battery, powers the laptop. I have yet to see anything to the contrary in over 30 years. In addition, these so called 'non removable' batteries are typically removable and replaceable by a service center as it involves a pretty thorough disassembly.

Jacobism

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
Thank you... but what about what engineer5261 said? That certain MSIs and Macbooks can't be turned on without a battery?

Jacobism

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/msi-gx640-cannot-start-up-without-battery-plug-in-ac-adapter.562530/

This guy used the wrong adapter it seems.

But as far as Macbooks go, the CPU performance drops 50% if there's no battery, as some kind of security measure by Apple.

Really don't know what to do.

Jacobism

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
Update: I just got off the phone with Asus, having spoken with someone who was quite friendly. He claims there is nothing in the N752VX or any other Asus that will prevent the unit from functioning on AC with a failed battery. In addition to that, they don't have anything that will cause CPU performance to drop in such a case. According to him, CPU performance may even increase somewhat on AC alone.

Of course I have no way of verifying any of this info, but I think there is overwhelming evidence that there shouldn't be any issues.

With that in mind, I have decided to buy the notebook in question. It has good reviews and all the specs I'm looking for. So I'll go for it.

He also said they replace batteries after warranty at a certain cost.

Thank you all for your input. If you have something else to contribute, feel free.

Nope. Some brands these days stop charging the battery when it reaches a certain level, then turn charging off completely and just run off mains power. Asus and MSI come to mind. At least their gaming laptops.

herrwizo

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009

Thanx for pointing that out. It looks that things have changed over time. I can testify from my first-hand experience (owned several laptops in late 90s early 2000s) that neither of them worked without a battery on AC. And it was a head-scratching experience, as it was simply not logical. The tech progress apparently made this thing irrelevant in the meantime, and I'm glad it did.

John Chapman

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
One good reason for having a battery in a laptop is that the laptop can be moved from room to room without having to switch it off. I run a Dell 1720 laptop 24/7 as a Twitter server and have done so since 2007. It gets moved frequently. It's on it's second battery. I changed it when it was no longer capable of powering the laptop for more than seven minutes.

Non-removable battery - there is no such thing if you are prepared to do a bit of dismantling.

I have an old Sony... the battery died... but it's my backup machine and always in home... I keep using it on AC with worn battery in place... after a while I see a BULGE, uh-oh, I immediately removed the battery... good thing this Sony works with batt out... not all of them can I hear. Only 1 dude story.

I subscribe to he theory that battery, like a car, needs to be "exercised" otherwise expect shorter life-span.