Microsoft Surface Phone Rumors: What You Can Expect

Status
Not open for further replies.

somethingbrite

Estimable
Mar 20, 2014
After the dreadful user experience I have lived through this past year with the Lumia 950 I'll give it a miss.
The Lumia 950 looked good on paper, but they must have swapped out for cheaper hardware between R&D and manufacture. It's a dreadful phone, both in terms of hardware and software. Microsoft couldn't be bothered to even write an application to backup contacts and sms' ffs! (and the app ecosystem is far from vibrant)
Microsoft tech support is non existent and their customer service abysmal.
Lumia 950 was so unstable it was unusable and I ended up taking the sim out and putting it back in my old phone.
Don't waste your money on this.

HXC

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
There's a lot of fancy hype and marketing talk here. Well, perhaps the product might possess some bells and whistles, however we must all be aware that the smartphone space is extremely competitive. The manufacturers of fancy technologies that smartphone makers include in their 'flagship' phones are not stupid to just exclusively make it for a single player or brand - when there's so much money to make. What may sound groundbreaking now will no longer be groundbreaking when it launches.

Dec 20, 2016
2 things the Surface Phone needs CDMA support for Verizon and Sprint networks. The Second thing is APPS... However it is a catch 22 with apps, as no developer wants to build for the OS because of the lack of consumers. Where the consumers don't want to go into a OS without their favorite apps. Not even Microsoft wants to build apps for the OS anymore.

Daekar3

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016
This is just the press trying to generate clicks. Microsoft won't release another phone for at least a few years. The market isn't any different, the competition is better than ever, and nothing has changed materially about the device they could bring to market, in particular the app side of the equation. They have work to do on Windows 10, ARM, Cortana, and the Windows Store, before they would even consider starting in on handsets again.

pampierce

Prominent
May 8, 2017
1. What was really missing, the last time I used a Windows phone, is the zillions of apps that are available for android and apple phones. Now that we have .NET Core, maybe we can overcome this handicap. Until then, I'm really not interested in a Microsoft phone. The last one I had was awesome, but it was just too frustrating not having the apps that I wanted....
2. Also, Microsoft doesn't treat their phone well. They do better Office365 integration on the apple and android than on their own device. I was really upset about that, since that was what I bought it for - the complete Windows integration....
3. And I'm still upset with Microsoft in general for REQUIRING the Office365 administrator to have the right to kill everything on my phone. This is a disaster waiting to happen if you have anything stored on your phone and not everything in the cloud. I still think it is easier to hack an administrator's account than to lose the phone and need it to be erased. Since I am in a small company, the Office365 administrator should determine if they want this right to kill a person's phone, not make it mandatory. And if this option is changed, it should be delayed implementation in case the admin account is hacked. If the Admin wants the right to erase the phone, fine. But if they don't want it, and have the ability to turn it off, then erasing the phone should not be as easy as turning the option on - in case the admin account is hacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.