Multiple Monitor/Card question about VR

Mark_261

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
I'm planning on getting the rift for Christmas but I have an unusual setup I need to make it work with. I currently use my computer for stock trading... I have six monitors and I'm running SLI with two GTX 660's. So obviously I know I have to upgrade my card.

My problem is if I were to upgrade to the GTX 1060 or 1070 that would only enable me to have four monitors plugged in. I need six. I read somewhere you can't run SLI with the rift so that would mean I can't double up the cards. (rather not do this because of price as well, but could if I have to)

My question is... can I just add a new GTX 1060 and keep one of my old cards so that way I can still run six monitors, and I'll have the GTX 1060 for VR as well? But how would I get the rift to just use the GTX 1060 and not try and use my old GTX 660 that's still in there? I know you can't run SLI with two different cards, but I think I'd still be able to run the six monitors.

I know there's a way to run a monitor off my motherboard but I'd rather not have to do that. Plus I would still need a way to run two monitors, not just one because of only being able to run 4 off the new card... Any help will be much appreciated... thanks

Here is my current setup: http://imgur.com/a/TT2Rg

TT2Rg

Solution
I haven't run a VR headset with a non-SLI/Crossfire multi-GPU setup, but it ought to work fine - you'd just plug the Rift into the main card. The secondary card would just have the extra monitors plugged in, with the one(s) you'll run monitor games on being plugged into the main card.

You might end up needing some adapters, depending on what connections your monitors support, and the cables you have on hand.

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
If you're using GTX 660s in SLI for 6 monitors, you're essentially using a single GTX 660 for 6 monitors. The outputs on the second card are diabled in SLI.

Therefore, there is no reason to believe that a single GTX 1060 can't run 6 monitors.

NINJA EDIT!! a GTX 1060 will not provide a reliable, enjoyable VR experience. GTX 1070 or GTX 1080. You essentially need to hit 90FPS, never drop, and do so at a resolution near 1440p - not going to happen on a GTX 1060.

Mark_261

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
I may actually play some games... I haven't really been playing games in about a decade but I was going to ease back in a little for some recreation. I've read about Adrift, Valkerie, etc...

What about my original question... can I run one of the newer cards, 1060, 1070, whatever, with my old card too? Keep the GTX 660 inand add the 1070? I know I can't do SLI, but would there be a way to designate the 1070 for use with VR?

Sakkura

Distinguished
I haven't run a VR headset with a non-SLI/Crossfire multi-GPU setup, but it ought to work fine - you'd just plug the Rift into the main card. The secondary card would just have the extra monitors plugged in, with the one(s) you'll run monitor games on being plugged into the main card.

You might end up needing some adapters, depending on what connections your monitors support, and the cables you have on hand.

Solution