High end pc or not so high end + VR?

Torx402

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
Hey guys I was wondering why I should do, I have a budget of 1500-2000 dollars, should I build a high end PC with core i7-7700k and Gtx 1080ti (when they get released) tempered glass case, LEDs, LED ram sticks (32gb) 4k monitor, etc. Or should I build a not so high end PC consisting of an rx 480 (or rx 490) and an Oculus Rift?

Solution

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YRQTpb

This is the cheapest vr ready build. Of course I can make it better by adding another 8 gb of ram and a better...

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Do you need VR if not get the overkill (like really way overkill) build. Otherwise post back and I'll make you a build.

Torx402

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016

Actually I would love it if you can give me the cheapest VR build that includes the new generation of GPUs (RX/10 series)

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YRQTpb

This is the cheapest vr ready build. Of course I can make it better by adding another 8 gb of ram and a better motherboard that has more ports available. But this is a guideline btw if you don't like the case pick something out that you like that is just a placeholder atm.

Solution

Sakkura

Distinguished
With as much as $2000 you're going to get less value for money spending it all on a top of the line PC. You get less and less value for money the higher you go above the sweet spot.

So I would say go for an Oculus Rift with a good PC alongside it.

That's not true, that's way over the minimum required for VR. Doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad build, but you can definitely do it much cheaper than that.

But there are a couple problems with the build anyway - the low quality power supply and the single-channel memory.

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

The absolute minimum for vr is a gtx 970 a gtx 980ti is the ideal card so a gtx 1070 is way more than ideal and that's why I chose it. The psu is pretty high quality according to tomshardware and other sites and yes 2*8gb of ram is better but this was a more minimum focused build.

Sakkura

Distinguished

The minimum requirements are a GTX 960 or RX 470, with a Core i3-6100 or FX 4350.

The EVGA NEX series is relatively low quality. Tom's Hardware has not reviewed any of them AFAIK, just some of the other Supernova units (most of which are much better). Here's a review of the 750W version.