moving apps to sd card

kerbuc

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016
I can no longer move apps to the external sd card in my Samsung S5 phone. I used to be able to but now the only option I have in application manager is "force Stop" or "uninstall". I'm aware that some apps cannot be moved but I can't move any.

Solution
Well it depends on which version of Android you are using. You need to have "Marshmallow". Also, that particular manufacturer does tend to make their devices unable to make the SD card "Internal" storage, so I would be very shocked if you could before. The only way to make the card "Internal" instead of "External" storage is by following the information I will include in this post. Anything else would require rooting the device, which is not advisable as it will void any warranty and it can also damage the phone.

If the card is still allowing the apps you say you moved before to work, and they weren't apps that can move on any old device (there are those too) then the card should still accept new installed apps. However the card would...
Well it depends on which version of Android you are using. You need to have "Marshmallow". Also, that particular manufacturer does tend to make their devices unable to make the SD card "Internal" storage, so I would be very shocked if you could before. The only way to make the card "Internal" instead of "External" storage is by following the information I will include in this post. Anything else would require rooting the device, which is not advisable as it will void any warranty and it can also damage the phone.

If the card is still allowing the apps you say you moved before to work, and they weren't apps that can move on any old device (there are those too) then the card should still accept new installed apps. However the card would not show as "External" storage anymore, so if it is, it was not converted over.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

Solution