Digital Converter Box Question: Will it work the other way around? (old cable box to new hdmi only tv)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightningcount

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016
My father has a cable box that only connects to a tv through a coaxial cable, he got a new tv that only has hdmi ports. I know that a digital converter box can go from a new cable box with hdmi to and older tv that only has a coaxial input, my question is can it work the other way around? An old cable box through the converter to the hdmi port on the new tv? Will he be able to watch tv this way?

I can't seem to find this answer anywhere.

This was the world of analog. It's obsolete. New TVs are all digital, and incompatible.

he got a new tv that only has hdmi ports.
Then this is NOT A TV, it's commonly called a monitor, although vendors may use a fancier name now.

I know that a digital converter box can go from a new cable box with hdmi to and older tv that only has a coaxial input, my question is can it work the other way around? An old cable box through the converter to the hdmi port on the new tv? Will he be able to watch tv this way?
No exactly sure, you seems to imply converter and cable box as 2 separate boxes, AFIK they are one box. BUT your question remains the same, can you use the old box with coax and I already answered above, ANALOG INCOMPATIBLE.

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
Tell your dad to return the box to the cable company and get a new one. Even if you got a converter you would not get an HD signal, and hence not nearly be utilizing the capabilities of the TV.

lightningcount

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016

He lives in Mexico, so I think that they just don't have that where lives, I think he'd be fine without hd content because he can stream netflix in hd.

So are you saying that it will work, just no HD signal?

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

If the TV has a coaxial input and has an analog converter built in then you can likely plug the cable box in that way.

If not I have never really seen something that does that analog to digital conversion as an external box.

A "digital converter box" is a digital over the air tuner without high definition output. It allows an old SD TV (with now obsolete tuner) to pick up the new digital channels. It doesn't have an input for anything but an antenna.
If the cable box has audio video outputs then those could be converted to HDMI if needed.
https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Composite-CVBS-Converter-Input/dp/B00I482KZI
You can't use just a cable with HDMI at one end and RCA plugs at the other. Won't work at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.