Installing Apps on SD card

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagle8

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016
I have had a Galaxy Grand Prime, Android version 5.1.1 for 3 weeks, with a 64Gb SD card installed. I’ve downloaded several apps, and tried to install them on the SD card instead of the internal memory, but I’ve had no success. Sometimes I’m told that there is no card installed, sometimes that the card is full and there’s no room. Other times, the apps do install properly on the card, but they won’t run. Yet other times, they do run properly, but the next day, I’m back to an error message, such as TouchWiz doesn’t run. And sometimes, the icon just disappears after the phone has sat unused overnight. I’ve tried refreshing numerous times, I’ve purchased a new SD card, and I have little hair left to pull out. I’ve had the phone looked at by 5 different store experts, and had 5 different prognoses.

I want to be able to install my apps on the SD card, not on the internal memory. Can anyone help?

Solution
You cannot put them on the SD card and run it from the card on that version of Android. You would need to be able to 1. upgrade to "Marshmallow" and 2. have a device that the manufacturer didn't restrict this option on. It happens. If you can upgrade to "Marshmallow" then please use the following instructions on how to get it to work.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“...
You cannot put them on the SD card and run it from the card on that version of Android. You would need to be able to 1. upgrade to "Marshmallow" and 2. have a device that the manufacturer didn't restrict this option on. It happens. If you can upgrade to "Marshmallow" then please use the following instructions on how to get it to work.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.