How do i set the download location to default to the SD card instead of device storage (which is maxxed out) on a Galaxy s4 ?

ze cat

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016
I have just installed a 16GB SD card in my Galaxy s4 Android phone to replace the original 1GB card but i am still getting error messages when i try to download new apps that there is not enough space. How can i set the default download location to the SD card instead of my device storage which is near capacity? i have moved everything i could from the phone/device storage to the new SD card using the Settings-App Manager but it did not help free up much space. I have 15GB i essentially can't use because everything i attempt to download still tries to go to device. So frustrating! Thanks for any input.

Solution
That would be because you can't run apps on the SD card unless the card has been made internal storage, which can only be done if, 1. you are running Android "Marshmallow" and 2. the manufacturer has not restricted the option on the device. If you have or can update to "Marshmallow" then try these instructions to see if you can make the change.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the...
That would be because you can't run apps on the SD card unless the card has been made internal storage, which can only be done if, 1. you are running Android "Marshmallow" and 2. the manufacturer has not restricted the option on the device. If you have or can update to "Marshmallow" then try these instructions to see if you can make the change.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

Solution