Help with buying a new home laptop for basic use

zdufs

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016
1. What is your budget?
400€-500€
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15" or 17"
3. What screen resolution do you want?
Full HD
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement
5. How much battery life do you need?
Doesn't really matter cause its gonna be for home use only
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No gaming
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Basic use
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
250GB SSD
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
https://www.bigbang.si/prenosni-racunalniki
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4-5 years
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
None
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Preferably Asus, Lenovo, Dell no HP please
13. What country do you live in?
Slovenia

Welcome Slovenija:

A run-down on bigbang reveals that most laptops in this price range only come with 4GBs of RAM, which is a bit on the low end even for general productivity and a mechanical HDD. I could only find 1 laptop with 8GBs of RAM and 256GBs of SSD storage, this Lenovo Ideapad 110 at €460:

https://www.bigbang.si/prenosni-racunalniki/110-i3-6100u8gb256gb-594584

The CPU is a very decent dual-core Skylake i3, weight is 2.2 kg and battery life is almost useless. But then you did say you're going to use it mostly at home, so...

Not knowing that much about Slovenia (and I did try AliExpress but they don't sell laptops), this is my best shot.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

Pieterjan_1

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
I strongly suggest to consider buying a more expensive model.
You have to look at it as an investment.
If you buy one that costs 600 €, the laptop is going to last about 2 years.
If you buy a good one that will cost, well yeah, 1500 €, you may be sure that it's going to last at least 10 years.

A little calculation:
- 300€ / year
- 150€ / year

I've already experienced this, and the first thing that gives in with cheap laptops is the poor cpu