clicking one icon activates another

Status
Not open for further replies.

perfection161

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
I have a peculiar problem which I shall try to expound here as clearly as possible.
Quite randomly and almost always on start up, if I click on one desktop icon either the adjacent icon is activated or the topmost one in that column is activated. This also happens when there are two-three window buttons alongside in a window such as ok and cancel. Selecting ok will activate cancel.
Often when there is a list of items horizontally or vertically such as a context menu I can actually see the selection jumping and automatically and uncontrollably scrolling through the various objects in the list.
Related to this is the fact that when a notepad text file is open the cursor auto scrolls across the text alphabet by alphabet at top speed

HOWEVER, WHEN I HIT ANY KEY TWICE THESE BEHAVIOURS CEASES BUT WOULD RECUR RANDOMLY

WHAT COULD BE WRONG?

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250
Drivers are up to date and screen refresh rate is 60 Hz

Thanks for any help on diagnosing this weird problem

I would suggest you try uninstalling the driver(s) for the touchpad or external mouse (depending on which you are using as you didn't say), then reboot the computer (before reinstalling) and when the computer reloads it should reinstall them on its own.

See if this resolves your issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.