Epicness_357

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016
Hi guys so basically I will get straight to the point, I have a budget of £180 and I have found two options.
First of all I could keep trying to find an oculus rift dk2 on ebay for under £180 but I think this would take quite a while, plus, The range of games are quite small and people have told me that it is not worth it as the screen door effect is too much and most games are expensive and mainly are just demos.

The second option is a logitech g27 wheel with a stand which I could probably find pretty easily for under £180 on ebay, this would probably be very fun to use and also very realistic, plus, there are a huge range of of full and realistic racing games.

So basically I just want to know what you would advise, maybe from someone who has both.

Solution
Go with the wheel.
Dk2 is out of support, so your experience with it will be limited.

As much as I love VR, the DK2 is only useful if you are working as a developer. So, if you like driving games and you are already considering it.. then I say go with the wheel.

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
Go with the wheel.
Dk2 is out of support, so your experience with it will be limited.

As much as I love VR, the DK2 is only useful if you are working as a developer. So, if you like driving games and you are already considering it.. then I say go with the wheel.

Solution

battguano

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
I second that - I have every iteration of the rift - Dk1, Dk2, and the CV - even that one has a screen door effect, not as much as the DK2 but still - I wish I had waited for the VR market to mature as it is still evolving. In a few years it will probably be as good of resolution as a monitor but for now, it's not.

Geekwad

Estimable
Sep 25, 2015
I guess it depends on your leanings. DK2 is still able to be used with the Oculus portal/store, and works well with many Steam VR titles that have Oculus support too.

It isn't as high a resolution as the CV or Vive, but it's lower resolution and refresh also make it easier to run. A smooth experience with Project Cars, Dirt or Elite Dangerous is still a mind-blowing experience.

I gave my old DK2 to my nephew and he's still very very much enjoying it.