HP 6470B Laptop Inquiry

Techmaru

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Hi I have a Laptop HP 6470B i5-3320M with a 4GB RAM installed already. I have a few questions below:

• Will I be able to add a 8GB RAM?
    Will a Kingston/Hynix 8GB RAM DDR3 1600 compatible?
    What is a Tray Type RAM?
    If I install an SSD will I need to update the BIOS?
    How do you update the BIOS?

Thank you in advance!

On that model, the RAM is not upgradeable, you have to make do with the standard 4GB.

From an online review:

"The ProBook 6470b B7C09PA has 4 GB of memory (RAM), which is lacking for a modern laptop. You cannot add more RAM to this model, so if you are experiencing a slow system, consider cleaning your hard drive, or buying a Solid State Drive if a hard drive replacement is possible":

http://laptops.specout.com/l/1346/ProBook-6470b-B7C09PA

You shouldn't need to update the BIOS in order to use an SSD.

BIOS updates are available from the HP site which serves your country.
They are in the form of an "exe" file which you run from within Windows similar to installing an application.
Do not update the BIOS unless it is absolutely necessary, if everything is working okay don't attempt it.

Techmaru

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014

Okay thank you for that information on CNET it says that it is upgradeable up to 16GB RAM, and the seller told me that they may add another 4GB RAM to it and I have checked it has another slot for a RAM. I have another follow up question, which is better in setup an 8GB dual channel configuration or a 12GB (4GB + 8GB)?

Oh well that clinches it, the info I read was totally wrong if your laptop has an empty slot. Just shows you can't always believe what you read unless the info comes from the manufacturer.

It's always best to make use of dual-channel feature if your laptop supports it, but in order for that to work, both modules must be the same capacity - - buying a "matched pair" of them is usual advice given on this forum, that way you know both modules are the same in every respect (same brand, same timings, same capacity, same part number etc).

Techmaru

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014

Okay thank you, so it should be same at all aspect.