Longtime Asus hardware? bios? issues

lemoncloud

Honorable
May 5, 2013
My Asus ux32vd is having problems for 3 years now. It all started after the warranty expired, all problems occurred at the same time.

- needs 10-15 minutes to start up
- crashes whenever it goes into standby/sleep. After restarting it boots with the following blue screen error message: Driver_Power_State_Failure. Disabled all sleep/standby and try to not take it off the charger whenever it's running
- doesn't shut down fully. The screen switches off, but something keeps on running inside. After a while this stops and computer starts with above blue screen at the next boot. Usually press the start button long to shut it down fully once the screen is switched off. Then the next day it starts normally.
- in device manager Intel WiUSB - USB-IF xHCl USB Host Controller shows an error since the same time. Nothing changes if I disable this in the device manager.
=> did several new installs with and without internet/automatic driver update. Nothing changed. Hardware tests always come back clear. Never played with the Bios as I don't know what I'm doing.

Not long ago I found my C-drive to be very full and I deleted old firefox profiles, lots of internet files, deinstalled software I don't need and got rid of a massive amount of itunes backups. Decided to disable Hiberfil.sys via command prompt to create a bit more space, and as all sleep/hibernate/etc doesn't work anyway. Suddenly the computer shuts down properly for the first time in 3 years. No other problems vanished.

Fast forward the last few days my computer starts either with it's usual slow pace, or goes straight to the Bios, out of which I only get with pressing the start button. Afterwards it boots just fine, and slow as always.

Basically: Any ideas? I can run more hardware tests and tools if you like and can look up things if you tell me how and where. I'm waiting for the release of one of two new laptops in the UK (weeks, probably) and then this one really gets binned. But until then it needs to hold on.

englandr753

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
If you can get your hands on another hard drive, I'd try that first. I have an ASUS gaming laptop and I had a similar issue that was caused from overheating. I found a motherboard repair service on ebay and sent it to them and for 125.00 they disassembled, troubleshot the motherboard and repaired, then redone the cpu thermal paste and its been working fine ever since.

It's either the above or see if you can limp across the finish line until the new laptop is available, which is no fun.

Good luck with it!

lemoncloud

Honorable
May 5, 2013
It might be the disk, but considering all tests come back clear, heat tests don't show any problems (it's always on my lap anyway) and the original problem has been persisting without getting worse for three years I do wonder if that's the solution. A new disk would take the money off the new computer and would still leave me with a machine that needs replacing as it really is fairly outdated for what I need it for.

lemoncloud

Honorable
May 5, 2013

Yep, it will probably come to this, also considering that Asus could never provide a solution to me for the original problems nor to all the other people who were faced with it. I guess I'll never find out what actually did go wrong in the first place.

lemoncloud

Honorable
May 5, 2013
Oh great! This is new: computer jyst crashed with the error Critical Process Died and then the machine booted straight to Bios again. Now it's running again but for how long. Guess it's time to find alternative laptops that are available.

I guess the Asus ux330 with i5-6200u, 8gb ram and 256 disk might be an option or the Lenovo Ideapad 710s with i5-6260u/iris 540 internal graphics and same ram and disk (in gold :( ). I just ordered the Lenovo from Amazon to see whether I like it enough and then potentially wait for the Kaby Lake version to have more machines to chose from.

Any comments on those two machines? I guess the Lenovo cpu makes more sense for someone playing light games. The 6200 is better for surfing, office and bit of coding? At least I can upgrade the disk in both, but I can't get more memory, nor upgrade memory in either. As both lack proper benchmark tests so far in these specific setups, thus the battery is a bit of a risk as well. *sigh*