Can't unlock USB Access Control and USB Drive Control on Windows 8.1 - USB Disk Security by ZBShareware

ellis1992

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016
Recently, I enabled (locked) these two options:

USB Access Control and
USB Drive Control

hoping to better protect my files and computer, but since I enabled them, I cannot open any of my flash drives or any of my sibling's flash drives. The computer actually can "see" the flash drives, I just cannot open them, like they don't appear in "This PC" folder. I'm using Windows 8.1. I tried to unlock these options but they always give me the error messages:

"USB Drive Control is locked and there is no need to perform this operation"

and

"Please remove all USB drives connecting to this computer"

I already tried to open the app using "Run as Administrator" then unlock these options but still the same issue. I've read tech blogs and websites about this issue (like this one: http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/id-1258213/usb-disk-security.html?57ff54922bf21=reload) but their solutions don't seem to work on my PC which is really frustrating.

I need my files for work and my sibling's homework / projects so I will be really happy if we can get this working again.

I also can't seem to post any pictures of the issue. If it can help, I'm also willing to post a screenshot of my laptop specs.

Looking forward to hearing from you all I'm hoping to resolve this as soon as possible.

Solution
There's another way to open another account. You're an Administrator but the Administrator account should be able to sort some thiings out. You might even get away with a System Restore.

In the File Manager, go to c:windows\system32 and scroll through to the file cmd.exe, right click it and from the menu, select RunAs Administrator.

In the black form that shows up, at the prompt type
Net User Administrator /active:yes
and hit Enter.

Type exit to close the form down then restart and you should see an additional account named Administrator. Log into that and you should be able to start putting things right.
I'm not certain this Registry tweak is going to do the job but it can't make matters any worse than they are now. Remove teh USB devices before you go any further.

Press your Windows key and R together then in the Run box, type regedit and hit the Enter key.

From the File menu, choose Export and note the name and location of the backup you're creating in case anything goes wrong. It won't but it's a good practice to back it up every so often in any event.

You navigate the Registry by going down paths the way you do in Windows File Explorer, so navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Control>StorageDevicePolicies.

Double-click on the WriteProtect value in the right-hand pane and change that Value data from 1 to 0 (zero) then click OK to save the change. Leave the Registry from the File>Exit and restart your computer, twice.

Finally, connect your USB drives again, and you should find it is no longer locked or Write Protected.

ellis1992

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Saga Lout! I really appreciate your time to answer my question. I did try to open "regedit" the way you told me, it opens for just 1 second then it abruptly closes itself, like it instantly force closes itself. I tried to type "regedit" on windows search, then I right clicked on its icon, then chose "Run as Administrator" but same thing happens. I'm not sure what's happening to my computer. I'm at a loss now. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks again.

If it would help, here are the screenshots of the issue and my pc's specs

https://filetea.me/t1sSpbya9YGQ6G4sjuKlPiqKg
https://filetea.me/t1sCZYtYZNaRm6z3Wo2khMGmg
https://filetea.me/t1sEi6Hj1mOQYSb3c4uw8M8QQ

ellis1992

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey there Saga Lout! There is only one user account on my pc and it's an Administrator account and the one I use to log in. Please see this photo: https://filetea.me/t1sEoUxg5c9TaiLZPHP8F4qSQ

I did try to make another user through "Add a new user in PC settings" option (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts\Manage Accounts) and the PC settings app opens, but it doesn't show anything and always minimizes itself automatically which is weird. This didn't happen before, I think there's something wrong with my PC. Virtually any programs or apps concerning the vital settings of my pc are inoperable. "Regedit" does this to me to. Its app opens, but suddenly closes itself. I think I may have viruses or malwares in my PC. I'm going crazy over this issue. I hope you can suggest something else. Any help will be much appreciated. Looking forward to hearing from you again Saga Lout.

There's another way to open another account. You're an Administrator but the Administrator account should be able to sort some thiings out. You might even get away with a System Restore.

In the File Manager, go to c:windows\system32 and scroll through to the file cmd.exe, right click it and from the menu, select RunAs Administrator.

In the black form that shows up, at the prompt type
Net User Administrator /active:yes
and hit Enter.

Type exit to close the form down then restart and you should see an additional account named Administrator. Log into that and you should be able to start putting things right.

Solution

ellis1992

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Saga Lout,

Sorry, it took me long to respond. I just went online today. So here's what happened, after running a full system scan with Avast! antivirus was able to locate a number of nasty things which I think are viruses and able to contain them as well. After that, I was able to unlock these two options:

USB Access Control and
USB Drive Control

I was so happy that I can now open and use my flash disks and mobile phone (through USB) till I realized I still can't open the important programs of my PC like "Regedit" and PC settings etc. They actually open for about 2 seconds then abruptly closes themselves after. Same goes with select third party apps like Malwarebytes, which the reasons I know nothing about.

After going online today, I tried your solution immediately and it worked like a charm! I never thought that there's another Administrator account lurking about inside my PC. I always thought that the account I use regularly is the only Administrator account for ultimate control over my PC. Silly me! SMH.

Thank you so much for taking your time in helping me resolve this issue despite it being free. You really gave me an exceptional service. I really appreciate it. Now where do I fill out a review form of your performance? I need to give you a commendation and I need to tell your boss to give you a raise! :D

One last thing, I plan to use the actual Administrator account on my PC from here onward, but I can't see the files on my other account. Is there a solution to get around that as well?

Thanks again! Cheers!

You're very welcome and the service is free and always will be while Tom's exists. The Moderators are volunteers and the Community Manager, Jo and his 2IC Kevin can't give us a rise. We're really no different from all the other posters who give good advice for nothing.

In a month or so you'll help someone with the advice you found here - I betcha!

ellis1992

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Saga Lout,

LOL thank you again! By the way, though I don't see this option on my version of Windows (8.1), is there a way I can make a "Shared Folder" on my PC so I can just put my things in this folder and be able to use them on the main Administrator account? I'm a sentimental person and I still use my other PC with Windows XP in it and I'm used to this option. Like all the users of a PC can share files using this particular folder? Or do you know any other option so I can do a smooth transition from my old account to the main Administrator account? Thanks again!

Public is the new Shared. In C:\Users you will see the account you're using, the account you used to use and another named Public. Anything you want to share should go into those folders.

Network the two together then in teh XP machine, navigate to c:\users\public in the Windows 8 machine and you can copy the folders from Public into a folder in XP.

ellis1992

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Saga Lout,

Sweet! Thanks again! Stay Awesome! :D