HDD-SSD post-clone booting issue (uncommon)

Cslcollins

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
I recently cloned my 256GB HDD onto a new Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD. When I attempted to boot for the first time, I got cursor as expected (I really just wanted to try, in case I didn't need to run a repair). I shut down, loaded my repair disc into my CD-R and powered on -> boot from CD-R, and also received cursor blink... This made me nervous so I disconnected the SSD and reconnected the source HDD and tried to boot.... Same thing. Running an ASUS MB with UEFI BIOS and can provide full details promptly if needed.

Thoughts?

Solution
OK so re-reading your post properly this time :D, it's beginning to look like a coincidence that was going to happen on the next boot whether it was on a spinning hard disk or a solid state.

We could suspect the SSD for drawing too much power but it was in there long enough for the cloning process so it's off the suspects list. The original HDD is also innocent because it wasn't present. If the optical drive spins, there can't be much wrong with it.

The answer has to be in the BIOS. Try the SSD again without UEFI and set either AHCI or IDE and see if that makes it fly straight.
The mistake was in leaving the original disk in the box when you restarted the machine. That left you wiith two system disks, both claiming to be the C:\ drive so both failed in equal measures.

Remove the hard disk and put in the SSD and you should have a fresh start.

Cslcollins

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016

Very good thought, but I did not boot with both drives connected.

OK so re-reading your post properly this time :D, it's beginning to look like a coincidence that was going to happen on the next boot whether it was on a spinning hard disk or a solid state.

We could suspect the SSD for drawing too much power but it was in there long enough for the cloning process so it's off the suspects list. The original HDD is also innocent because it wasn't present. If the optical drive spins, there can't be much wrong with it.

The answer has to be in the BIOS. Try the SSD again without UEFI and set either AHCI or IDE and see if that makes it fly straight.

Solution