Upgrading Rig for Vive and general gaming.. need input

Torukai

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
My rig used to be somewhat of a beast 4 years ago. I've read several opinions here and there for individual component upgrades but would like someone who is more attuned to current tech to take a look at what I currently have and give me a bang-for-the-buck analysis of what I can do. Posting this here because the Vive is what inspired me to upgrade my GPU, and that has lead me on this cascade of wondering how much more I can squeeze out of this system or if it's just better to upgrade some stuff. I want to push the Vive into buttery smooth operation, and not worry about upgrading anything after this for 2 years. I do not need to be on the bleeding edge, but close enough to it to be sane. Budget is not a limitation, but sanity is.. e.g. don't tell me to buy a $1500 CPU. :)

MB: Asus P9X79 PRO - socket 2011
CPU: i7 3930k (sandy-e rev c2), currently OC'd 100x42.
Mem: Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600 32G (8 x 4G) quad channel sets (part KHX1600C9D3)
GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW
Monitor: Acer X34 Predator
Misc: Corsair RM-850 PSU, Corsair H80i cooler, Samsung 850 Pro SSD, WD Black HD, HTC Vive

I was eyeballing the newer Samsung 950 PCI NVM SSD cards but they seem to want PCI 3.0 to be fully performant. My CPU doesn't "support" 3.0 officially, but the MB does - and the CPU has the bandwidth for it. NVidia has a patch to force 3.0 for the GPUs but I haven't read anything suggesting the Samsung 950 can be forced into it with this CPU.

I was also eyeballing DDR4 memory, which of course I can't use on this MB. I think DDR3 1866 is the best it can handle.

So if I was your friend, what would you suggest I do? Bang-for-the-buck sanity please.

Thank you for anyone's time that chooses to chime in.

Torukai

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
I'm getting missed frames when everything suggests I should not be getting any at all - hence wanting to find the best / most impactful route to getting more horsepower out of this beast.