How do I set apps to download onto my SD card instead of internal storage?(Samsung Galaxy ON5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dangus Khan

Estimable
May 1, 2015
Hi, I recently bought a Galaxy ON5 and it's internal storage, which all my apps seem to be downloading to, only has about 8.00 GB. I was wondering if there is a way to set apps to download onto my SD card instead? I've looked up some tutorials but they all seem to be for different Samsung devices than mine. I found a similar question for my same phone model asked but it went unsolved. I have the same issue as in it only gives me the option to format my SD card as portable storage and not internal. Anyone know what I should do?
http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/id-3129485/set-default-storage-card-galaxy-on5.html

Solution
Start off my going into Settings and make a backup if it's available. If not, go to the Play Store and download Nandroid to make one for you in case anything goes wrong.

Back into Settings>More click on About Device. Tap it seven times and a message shows up telling you are now a developer. Developer Options shows up as a new section below About Device. One of those options is USB debugging so tick to allow that.

On your computer, search for KingoRoot (not Kingroot) and download it. Connect the phone to the computer via a USB cable and run the programme. It can take a while but you'll see a message that rooting was successful.

In Settings>Storage you should already see it's possible to save data to the card but to...
You're running on Android 5.1, also known as Lollipop, and they made it a lot harder to move data to an SdCard or to install Apps on to one. It can be done but it requires actions that would invalidate your Warranty and possibly upset the service provider you contract to.

First off, you need to check that you have an SdCard in there because that can refer to an internal chip as well as an add-on micro SdCard. Go to Apps>Settings>More>Storage and see what you have in the device. If there is an external card, check that it is mounted.

If you don't have one, go and buy a 32GB micro SdCard and if you're willing to root the device and take your chances with third party software to enable Apps to be installed on to it, post back for more information.

Dangus Khan

Estimable
May 1, 2015

Hi, thanks for your answer. Yes I have a SD card and it's been formatted and it mounted. I'm willing to take the risk and root it, please tell me more information on how to. I appreciate it!

Start off my going into Settings and make a backup if it's available. If not, go to the Play Store and download Nandroid to make one for you in case anything goes wrong.

Back into Settings>More click on About Device. Tap it seven times and a message shows up telling you are now a developer. Developer Options shows up as a new section below About Device. One of those options is USB debugging so tick to allow that.

On your computer, search for KingoRoot (not Kingroot) and download it. Connect the phone to the computer via a USB cable and run the programme. It can take a while but you'll see a message that rooting was successful.

In Settings>Storage you should already see it's possible to save data to the card but to transfer Apps or to install them on to it, go into the Play Store, search for a utility named APPS2SD and download that.

It qualifies itself quite heavily which is why I suggested a backup so run the programme and you should be able to install to the SdCard.

Solution

Rufus1967

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
Quick question. Your wrote:

What is "it"? In Settings there is Settings>About device but if I click it the About device menu opens (i.e., can't click it seven times).

Rufus1967

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
Sorry, clicked submit before being able to reply.

I'm touching the screen on the "About Device" line and as soon as I touch it (i.e., first of seven times) it immediately opens the About Device menu options.

The About Device option is the last one viewable (i.e., don't see one for Developer Options).

Rufus1967

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
Found the answer. You click on About Device, then click Build Number 7 times to turn on Developer Options. Will give the other advice up above a go as well. Thanks!

Rufus1967

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
And then depression set in. Tried both the app and the Windows version and both led to root failure. Both got to 10% and then errored out. Tried the app several times per instructions and it didn't work. I keep getting error 0x1933C1 for the app. Not sure if there's another way to root it?

Some manufacturers tweak the software to prevent rooting but it's worth trying another. Not having failed by using KingoRoot I don't have another suggestion but I'll unroot a device and experiment with some others..

It may be later in the day before I get back to you so have a look in the Store again for an alternative.

Rufus1967

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
I found one in RootJunkySDL but am not sure it's good/worth it? Asks to download an executable file which I'm not thrilled about doing at work so will probably try it at home. Any experience with that one?

Rufus1967

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
I've found a couple of them but they're all very low rated by users, come with a ton of ads, and I'm concerned about viruses as a result. Really should've just paid an extra $200 to get a phone with decent internal memory but, on the other hand, shouldn't have this much difficulty utilizing an SD card either...

desireeschoice

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
I just tried (T-mobile customer if it matters) with the same issues as others. Failing at 10% with app and not even connecting anymore with desktop version. Completely disabled Lookout which tried to get in the way. Shot off an email to KingoRoot.

But there are these instructions on their site as well: https://www.kingoapp.com/root-tutorials/how-to-root-android-6.0-marshmallow.htm

I'm a noob though and cannot understand them. Can someone translate, maybe, please?

I'm not sure whether you're saying you tried going down the Windows route and it failed but it is worth downloading KingoRoot for Windows in the way I described back in post #4 and trying that route, if only because it's easier for me than explain every step to doing it the Android way.

Lookout was probably doing you a favour. Where did you download the App?

Status
Not open for further replies.