No sound to right earphone and intermittent sound through headphones

saleem123

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
Hi,

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 (SM-P600 Model) and I am at wits end with a hardware problem.

For a while now, sound only comes out on the left ear or none at all. I plug in headphones and sometimes the device doesn't register it most of the time, I have to twist the wire into an awkward position for it to work and even then it only comes out in the left ear, not the right.

I have tried the following solutions:

Tried multiple headphones/headsets, still same problem

Tried resetting software and different software

Disassemble device and disconnect, reconnect flex cable internally

Replace headphone jack port

Compressed air, gentle cleaning with fine cloth internally

Nothing seems to work, any help is appreciated.

Have you tried looking to see if there is a loose connection? If you can disassemble the housing, and get to the driver, you should be able to easily solder the loose cable in place. If, of course, you have any experience with soldering.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, most electronics places would do it for you pretty cheap. Just tell them you have a loose wire (or think you do) that needs soldering.

I mention this because, even if something looks correctly connected, the solder may not be, or may be loose, damaged, etc. It is a pretty common issue.

It is the only thing I can think of not in your list of tried fixes.

saleem123

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

There doesn't appear to be any loose cables.

Here's the weird thing though, the connection to the motherboard that controls the headphone jack also controls the following: power, volume up/down and left speaker of device, all through one connection (and the headphone jack obviously). And all of these function just fine so I just cant figure it out why the headphone part is dodgy. I've already tried replacing the headphone jack and there appears to be no visible damage to the housing of the tablet so I'm not sure where to go from here.

saleem123

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

Yeah, I'm gonna try that, I purchased one yesterday, if I can get it to work ill see if that helps (found a cheap one with what I hope is just software problems which is mostly fixable)