New phone isn't fully reading SD card.

Iceman96051

Estimable
Jan 13, 2016
So I have a 128 GB SD card with about 74 GB worth of music on it (10160 songs). My old phone (a HTC Desire 601) could read all of the songs. My new phone (Samsung Galaxy Core Prime) is only reading 8606 songs which I think is around 64 GB. I've made sure that the Prime was reading from the right folders and I checked to see if maybe the 1500 songs were stored on my phone, they were not. So is the Core Prime not actually compatible with the full 128 GB or is there something I'm missing here?

Solution
It may well be that it is 'locked' the size the phone you have now is allowing for the SD card, where as the other one isn't/wasn't. Doesn't surprise me, I have seen that a lot with certain newer phones.

Also, another thing to try, are you sure all the files are correctly formatted? Just because a file says it is say an MP3, doesn't mean it was created/formatted correctly, which can lead to some devices not reading them. I have had that happen with them on a computer, so I am sure that can happen with a phone.
This is probably because that phone (the Samsung Galaxy Core Prime) is only capable of handling up to a 64 gb card. You can see the specs here... http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_core_prime-6716.php it is in the section under memory.

The only option I can think of is to remove the songs/music you listen to less. It is also, especially with that much music, to back it up to a computer or cloud account, as you wouldn't want to lose any of it.

You could also try seeing if the files are actually saved correctly. There are quite a few computer programs that could be used to resize the files (possibly shrinking their size). If you are up to the work that would take (with that many files).

Iceman96051

Estimable
Jan 13, 2016

Yeah I was thinking that too but I noticed a few other sites list it as 128 GB compatible and that site you linked also only lists the HTC Desire 601 as compatible with 64 GB (and I know that's the phone I have). And I do have all the music backed up on my computer but I never play music from it, just use it as a backup (my speakers are bluetooth and I custom built my computer and never bought anything bluetooth related for it nor do I exactly feel like doing that). I was considering it might be broken links also but it seems weird my one phone can constantly read everything while the other can't.

It may well be that it is 'locked' the size the phone you have now is allowing for the SD card, where as the other one isn't/wasn't. Doesn't surprise me, I have seen that a lot with certain newer phones.

Also, another thing to try, are you sure all the files are correctly formatted? Just because a file says it is say an MP3, doesn't mean it was created/formatted correctly, which can lead to some devices not reading them. I have had that happen with them on a computer, so I am sure that can happen with a phone.

Solution

Iceman96051

Estimable
Jan 13, 2016

Yeah I think that might be it. I figured the easiest way to check is to add more songs onto it and see if it goes past the 8066 limit or whatever I originally said it was. It did actually add them on so it must be that this phone maybe can't read whatever file types the other 1500 are or something along those lines. Guess I got a lot of work ahead of me to fix it.

Iceman96051

Estimable
Jan 13, 2016

This is going to be the final post since it's been answered now for the most part. Anyways, the 1500 or songs were in .WMA format which this phone doesn't seem to be able to read. So it was just a formatting issue overall. Still don't get why the HTC could read it but not the Samsung, oh well I guess.