Need a need MB/CPU, but no clue about intel

Tommy Rayburn

Estimable
May 5, 2015
So, with my new Oculus on the way, need to upgrade my MB and CPU. I normally would go AMD, but don't take any chance, so looking for well priced, but highly liked CPU's and MB's.

jeremymau

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Pretty much the best option for intel is either the i5-6600k or the i7-6700k, both offer the best price for performance ratio. You will need a Z170 motherboard for those processors if you plan on overclocking and I would recommend either going with ASUS or Gigabyte boards. Both companies have a wide variety of boards for any budget.

Hard to begin this w/o a budget

1. CPU ... 6600k is the general stating point if budget allows, 6700k if you do video editing or any workstation like apps or... you just have the extra cash.

2. MoBo:

Best $300 Board - MSI Xpower Titanium
Best $200 Board - Gigabyte Gaming 7
Best $150 Board - MSI Gaming Z170A GAMING M5 / Gigabyte Gaming GA-Z170X /
Best $125 Board - Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI / MSI Z170A SLI Plus

Asus has some decent boards but a) just about all of the $150 and lower priced boards have substandard audio solutions, above that they are priced well above better performing / featured boards from the competition.

Tommy Rayburn

Estimable
May 5, 2015
Both of those processors only come in packages with motherboard?

Not sure how you drew that conclusion. But to use the features of a k series processor, you need a MoBo with a chipset (Z170) that enables those features.

Vendors sometimes sell MoBo / CPU combos but that is not the norm.

Selecting a MoBo is very budget dependent as some features, depending somewhat upon brand, are not available as budget decreases ... SLI starts to disappear around $125 ... decent audio solutions disappear about $110.. (make that $150 on Asus boards).

jeremymau

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you have a Microcenter near you, you could save a lot of money if you buy a processor and motherboard at the same time. In fact, you can get an i5-6660k for $200 and get $40 off any motherboard you choose. So you end up saving over 100 dollars compared to what Newegg sells them for.

IntelTurtleFan

Estimable
Apr 10, 2015
Assuming you have a HIGH quality PSU and graphics card this should suit your needs if you chose NOT to overclock.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/MqvMRB

If you do chose to overclock go with this combo. Nothing fancy is needed.
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/y2C6GX

The only real difference between the CPU's is that the i7 allows overclocking where the Xeon does not. They are very similar in stock performance but the Xeon is much cheaper.

Solution