P2X2 550 unlock problem

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I'm trying to unlock my 550 on a MSI 770 c45 mobo. I've read the instructions, flashed the newest bios (v1.04), set firmware to special and ACC to auto. I look at the CPU spec via bios, and I see 4 cores instead of 2 !!! yay!!!!

So I save settings and reboot. Just before loading the OS screen, PC dies and reboots. This happens again and again and again, and I can't actually use the PC without going back to 2 cores.

Anyone know the solution to this problem?

p.s. can somebody post the "good" voltage settings for the CPU? I suspect that I can't have all the voltage on auto...

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
There might not be a solution. Those cores were locked for a reason, and although some people are lucky and get functioning ones, you probably have defective ones.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
No. Just cause you can see them in the BIOS doesn't mean anything. The same thing happens when you overclock. Your overclock may post but can fail to load the OS or a stress test and so on.

Solution is to by a quad core if you want a quad core. Or by another dual core and hope you can unlock them other two cores and keep everything stable. You can try to up the voltage on the cpu but it just sounds like a lost cause to me.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

+1.

There are reasons why AMD locked the other 2 cores. mainly because most are defective. in this case, 1 or even both cores that were locked are defective.

If your lucky, you maybe able to run on 3 stable cores although don't count on it.

A general rule of thumb is, if you bough it as a quad core cpu then expect it to be a quad core cpu. if you bought it as a dual core cpu then expect it to be a dual core.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
try giving your CPU a vboost. failiing that, also boost your northbridge voltage slightly.

if that doesnt work, try lowering your clockspeed.

soudns though like your core isnt going to unlock. its not a guaranteed thing unfortunatly.

redgarl

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Lol... unlocking cores isn't something that every cpu can achieve...

You are simply not a lucky winner...

Still... only to bother you a little, I have unlocked my 4th core on my X3 and it's fully stable. :p