Will the GTX 780 work with the Oculus Rift given these specs?

simpleauthority

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
Specs:
Processor: AMD Phenom II (Quad Core) 965 @ 3.40 GHz
Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 103
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5
RAM: 20gb
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3gb GDDR5 VRAM

Probably going to upgrade the processor to an AMD FX-8370
Will upgrade GFX card when money allows.

Given this info, do you think the Oculus Rift will work?

Solution
The GTX 780 equals roughly a GTX 970 as shown in this picture so it should be ok for the time being: http://international.download.nvidia.com/webassets/en_US/shared/images/products/shared/lineup-full.png

However, that 3GB of vram is REALLY REALLY going to make you suffer in VR. Expect to dial down graphical settings more so than if you had a GTX 780 6GB card.

BTW...I wouldn't recommend going to a FX 8370. With AMD Zen on the way plus with Intel having much better performance ATM, I suggest rebuilding your entire rig if possible. :)
The GTX 780 equals roughly a GTX 970 as shown in this picture so it should be ok for the time being: http://international.download.nvidia.com/webassets/en_US/shared/images/products/shared/lineup-full.png

However, that 3GB of vram is REALLY REALLY going to make you suffer in VR. Expect to dial down graphical settings more so than if you had a GTX 780 6GB card.

BTW...I wouldn't recommend going to a FX 8370. With AMD Zen on the way plus with Intel having much better performance ATM, I suggest rebuilding your entire rig if possible. :)

Solution

meatparsden

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
I have a MSI GTX 780 and have had no problem playing any game yet. there are a few that i have the settings turned down but overall i am very impressed with how its handling everything. That being said I have a EVGA 1080 on pre order, looking forward to cranking up the settings then, but in the mean time the gtx 780 is great.

System specs are...
I5 3570k @ 3.4ghz
16gb ram
MSI GTX 780 TwinFrozr Gaming 3 GB