Macro to swap display resolution and audio device

spschillerstrom

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
So I've recently completed a simple hardware project. I ran an HDMI cable, USB extension cable and a 3.5 mm cable from my desktop through one wall to my bedroom to play games and watch videos in bed. The setup went exactly as expected, everything works as intended. I would like to make a macro or simple piece of software to make swapping easier.

At my desktop I have a 2560X1440 display and a USB DAC/amp for headphones. In my bedroom I have a 1920X1080 display with audio cable going to the on board audio device. I wanted to rout audio to the standard mother board input so I could control volume using software (rather than the physical knob on my amp).

What I would like to do is set up a simple macro to automatically switch the display resolution and the audio device so I don't need to do it manually every time I want to game in my bedroom. I've never worked with macros and I don't really know where to start to figure out how to do this. I'm totally open to doing something other than a macro too, that's just what came to mind first.

I have a Razer keyboard with macro software but it appears to only have macros for text inputs or short cuts. Maybe there is a simple stream of keyboard commands to achieve the switching?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Most probably, such a "macro" does not exist (for the simple reason that the APIs needed are not well documented, if at all).

In fact, the only thing you need to change is the default sound output, and this is two mouse-clicks away. You already have your two separate monitors, so start the game on your second monitor (it will go to that monitor' resolution), switch over the sound, and you're done.

spschillerstrom

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
That's kind of what I figured. Swapping the configuration takes only a few seconds. I just get a kick out of optimizing, and simplifying stuff like this.