Help me with my gaming desktop please.

michaelzooanimal

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
First time computer builder here, but I'm looking to build a decent gaming desktop to at least run games on high settings with a high frame rate. Could you all let me know if there are any parts I should upgrade or any parts that are excessive? Or if something just plain doesn't work well together.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/michaelzhou/saved/Yy2tt6

I plan on using a GTX 1070 as the GPU.

Solution
For gaming, the i7 is a bit much, but if you have the budget it's fine. You may get more out of the system with an i5 instead and using the money on a 1080, although you may want to check out some benchmarks for CPUs if the 1080 can be bottlenecked by the i5.

I would also go with a larger SSD drive so you can load more games on it, a 512 is good. No sense in spending a ton on a computer and then running out of space on the SSD to load programs off. I would just use the standard drive for storing a backup image and files, not to install programs on.
For gaming, the i7 is a bit much, but if you have the budget it's fine. You may get more out of the system with an i5 instead and using the money on a 1080, although you may want to check out some benchmarks for CPUs if the 1080 can be bottlenecked by the i5.

I would also go with a larger SSD drive so you can load more games on it, a 512 is good. No sense in spending a ton on a computer and then running out of space on the SSD to load programs off. I would just use the standard drive for storing a backup image and files, not to install programs on.

Solution