Will vr make monitors obsolete?

gianni69

Estimable
Dec 18, 2014
Vr as seem to come to life lately. Will VR eventually make monitors obsolete? Will they both coexist or will VR be the only way to game in the future? tbh I don't really like the idea of vr that much and I much rather stick with my monitor.

Solution

Yeah but what you're talking about would be like a machine-man interface, not a peripheral. A VR headset would still require you to turn your head all which ways, ect.

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
in 10-20 years maybe. they need to be able to do vr in a "sunglasses" or simple "glasses" format before monitors go away. Once the headsets are the size of glasses and wireless and can fill your sightline (not limited to a small viewing area as current vr is) as well as <$500 we can probably say goodbye to monitors

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
The two problems that I see you would have to overcome would be,
a) HMD display resolution.
b) Keyboard input.

If you solve those, then the HMD could be your sole and primary display for both gaming and productivity.

I'd say in 2 years time, this could be possible. The HMD resolution isn't bad overall. Just make the text big enough and reading isn't too horrible. The input is trickier, but possible with a Leap Motion controller that would display your hands and then linked with some kind of virtual or virtualized keyboard. Really, a leap motion that could identify both your hands and the real life keyboard would do the trick.

Then when you wanted to type or use the mouse, in a virtualized desktop display, it could show you the objects and render our hands accurately enough to type. The mouse would be easy.. the kb is just tricky.

But yeah.. 2 years and it is totally possible.

James Mason

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
You'd never use "VR" for work type stuff.
You would use Altered Reality as a replacement though, so you can watch Youtube while standing over a pot of boiling water or something.
Or read your documents and emails and reply with voice-to-text (or just voice messages... but you'd probably want to edit what you said most of the time).

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
>> You'd never use "VR" for work type stuff.
Disagree!

Imagine you are a call-center. You want to
a) Reduce space Costs.
b) Increase worker productivity.

A HMD would allow,
1) Visualized screens.

This allows you to get rid of the cubicles. Just jam a bunch of workers into a windowless open office warehouse with VR headsets and headphones.

From the outside it would look oppressing, but the worker gets to sit in an open field or on a sunny beach and work. They also don't have to look at any of their ugly butt coworkers.

Cause think about it.. take the average office worker space and compress it down to what is needed.

SOOooo many jobs would benefit from VR, just based on virtual displays.
However, this is based on cheaper faster computers, but that isn't that hard of an assumption.

James Mason

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

:/ I actually work in a call center doing IT support, most of the agents like to be able to talk to their coworkers about the a-holes they have to deal with on the phone.

And it seems like it might be prohibitively costly to do "Matrix-style" working conditions, that and you don't want your workers being distracted. And people still get breaks every 2 hours and lunch breaks and bathroom breaks.

They'd still need keyboards and mice and all kinds of stuff.

Otherwise they'd be better off just doing computer automation at that point.

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
Correct, and that is why I state the current tech hurdle of VR productivity is the peripherals.

Mouse is easy, keyboard is tricky.

But yeah.. I'm using (3) monitors right now.
When you have 1, you want 2. When you have 2, you want 3.. and so on.

I would love never having to minimize a screen ever again. Oh, the joy. To be able to switch screens and type without ever having to take my hand off the keyboard, and for it to just go to where my focus is.

I'll trade in my wish for a hoverboard for this. Make it happen engineers! :)

James Mason

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

Yeah but what you're talking about would be like a machine-man interface, not a peripheral. A VR headset would still require you to turn your head all which ways, ect.

Solution

ElijahRio

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
I believe after a few years, 15-20, it will be the main screen used but there will still be people like myself who will not go near VR and also most work can realistically only be done with a monitor. Just imagine trying to take something to another place like, God forbid, a letter to somebody. I know letters are nearly all gone now but still.
There are also very likely going to be people who 'get trapped' in VR and this would keep some people away. So really I think they will both coexists for at least another 40 years before peer pressure will make most of the last few cave in.