Moved downloads to external storage but still using internal storage

Michelle_56

Commendable
May 28, 2016
I have a Samsung galaxy tab a, I won't to run everything off external sd card storage to save internal storage. I've downloaded bbc I player and moved the application to sd storage. Everything I'm downloading for my holidays is going onto internal storage... why? How do i change this?

Solution
Unfortunately you cannot download to a SD Card on a standard android tablet running anything lower than Marshmallow. All prior versions do not allow for downloading to a card.

In Marshmallow it can be done, but there are limitations to that. One, your devices manufacturer has to have not blocked the ability (some companies, it seems, have blocked downloading to the card even in Marshmallow) and, you have to have a blank card that will be formatted when set to "Internal" rather than "External". I say you need a blank SD Card because when it is formatted to work as "internal" it will erase all data on the card. Also the card will no longer be readable by other devices due to the encrypting done when it is formatted "Internal".

So, if...
Unfortunately you cannot download to a SD Card on a standard android tablet running anything lower than Marshmallow. All prior versions do not allow for downloading to a card.

In Marshmallow it can be done, but there are limitations to that. One, your devices manufacturer has to have not blocked the ability (some companies, it seems, have blocked downloading to the card even in Marshmallow) and, you have to have a blank card that will be formatted when set to "Internal" rather than "External". I say you need a blank SD Card because when it is formatted to work as "internal" it will erase all data on the card. Also the card will no longer be readable by other devices due to the encrypting done when it is formatted "Internal".

So, if you don't have Marshmallow, or if the device you have was limited by the manufacturer, you can't set up to download to a SD Card.

Well, unless you consider rooting the device, however I would suggest not doing that if your device is still under warranty, as it will certainly void it.

Should you choose to consider rooting, you can find information and help on that in the "Rooting, Jailbreaking & Unlocking" forum, http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/forum-117.html

Solution