Pocket Geek high data usge

Bendmac

Commendable
May 24, 2016
Downloaded Pocket Geek for Android on a new-to-me Galaxy S7. Seems to work well, but also seems to be a "data hog"...it ranks the highest on data use, right before OS. Any way to pare that data usage down while still getting the benefits of the app? If not, other app recommendations for the same type of utility that aren't so data dependent?

Solution
There are probably a few apps on the device that are hogging data. Unfortunately many try to do things, without you knowing it, on them.

Have you tried restricting background data? Not something people commonly try, but I myself got tired of many programs running stuff in the background and running up my data usage. I found that turning this option on, didn't limit my phone really at all. Granted, I don't do many things on the device that aren't being done on WiFi when it comes to downloading, however it might be an option you can try.

It will also help you narrow down which apps are hogging your data. Any app that acts up once you put on the restriction is obviously doing things in the background and using the data.

How to Restrict...
There are probably a few apps on the device that are hogging data. Unfortunately many try to do things, without you knowing it, on them.

Have you tried restricting background data? Not something people commonly try, but I myself got tired of many programs running stuff in the background and running up my data usage. I found that turning this option on, didn't limit my phone really at all. Granted, I don't do many things on the device that aren't being done on WiFi when it comes to downloading, however it might be an option you can try.

It will also help you narrow down which apps are hogging your data. Any app that acts up once you put on the restriction is obviously doing things in the background and using the data.

How to Restrict Background Data on Galaxy S7.

1. Go into "Settings".
2. Scroll down to "Data Usage".
3. Tap "Background Data".
4. Now select each of the apps you don’t want using data in the background.

Now background data on Galaxy S7, for those apps, should be restricted. Very simple and easy.

Note: Turning off background data on apps that you auto get messages from (not referring to phones sms messaging as that still works fine) as in Whatsapp, Facebook, etc., could make your new messages not show automatically. Also Google Play tends to not like to work without background data enabled. If you use them a lot, I suggest not restricting the data on those specific apps, unless you want to just test out if they hog a lot of data.

When you choose to turn on the background data for any app again, or all apps, make sure you reboot the phone after turning it back on, so that apps will recognize it being on again.

Solution