Laptop black screen at start up

stenpep8

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
Hi everyone,

Yesterday my laptop stopped working.
It was running windows updates so I left for a while but when I came back the cd-drive was doing weird and the screen was black.
Then I turned it off and on again but the same thing happened.
So I think it's broken now.

I tried different things like removing the battery, holding the on button for a while, re-install the battery.
I tried to power it on with the battery removed and the charger attached.
I opened it up to look if there was any visible damage.
I cleaned everything up from the inside (even the RAM slots)

But nothing makes a change, when I fire it up the fan only gives a little twist every 15 seconds (it probably tries to boot over and over again).

It's an 2008 packard bell easynote (not sure which one).
So the warranty expired ages ago.

Now I only want to make sure it's completly broken.
So what do you guys think, is there any chance it can be saved?
Or is it broken?

Hi,

It seems like you've pretty much done all the possible troubleshooting steps but here are some more that you may want to try that may help.
- Start by doing a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- If this will not work, do test the AC adapter if it's working properly. Remove the battery and power the laptop with just the AC adapter connected and see if it will boot up or not. do also try a different AC adapter that has the same voltage and see if it will work or not.
- Proceed with reseating the RAM's if trying a different AC adapter will not work, remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure everything is seated properly.
- If it will still not work, connect an external monitor and see if you'll get any display from it. If there's a display on the external monitor that could mean that the problem is the built in display.
- If it will display on the external monitor, press the Windows key + P at the same time and select Computer Only and see if it display back on your built in display.
- But if there's still no display on the external monitor that means the problem lies in the motherboard.