Samsung galaxy tablet 8 inch will no longer connect to home wife or connects intermittently.

Natalie_7

Commendable
May 17, 2016
Tablet worked fine until today when it would nor recognize my home wife although other tablets are connecting. It may find it for a moment, ask me to enter password then it disappears and it is unable to find it again. I have turned off router, and tablet, checked time, checked sleep mode. My daughter needs this for her studies. Please help!

Solution
Sadly this issue keeps coming up with some Samsung tablets, and occasionally their phones as well.

Hmm. I would try seeing if it will connect to any public wifi. Say at a library or cafe. If it won't there could be a couple of reasons.

The time and date on the devices could be not reading correctly. Strange as it sounds, this can cause it. So you need to check this on both the tablet and the modem/router. Also, make sure the modem/router is also set to be in the states and in your correct time zone. You would be surprised how many times it isn't. And while your other devices work fine, this could still cause issues with the tablet.

Another option is to restart the modem/router and restart the tablet as well. Yes I know it works...
Well there could be a few reasons. First I would make sure that there are no apps that were recently installed, or updated, that could be causing it to disconnect. Either through just messing with the connection (yes some are just made to annoy) or by trying to do things through the WiFi and it keeps kicking it out. So I would check the device.

If that isn't it, then sometimes you need to adjust the Wi-fi sleep policy on the tablet. It can often cause this.

To check to see if this is the issue...

1. On the home screen of your tablet go to "Menu" then "Applications".

2. Next go to "Settings" and finally "WiFi Settings".

3. On this screen tap the "Menu" button and then choose "Advanced".

4. Now you want to choose "WiFi Sleep Policy".

5. It should show you options, including one for when the screen turns off. If it is set to do this, then the WiFi will automatically be disabled, and go into "Standby Mode", as soon as the screen goes dark. Also there will be options like "Never When Plugged In", so that the WiFi will go down if you plug the tablet in. Go through each of the choices your device gives you in here, and make sure it is not set to turn it off for such reasons. You also have the option to set it to "Never" disconnect from the WiFi.

One of these should fix the problem.

Natalie_7

Commendable
May 17, 2016

Natalie_7

Commendable
May 17, 2016
Thank you. I checked the wifi sleep policy and that's fine. One peculiar thing is that it is not picking up my neighbors wifi either! Or it will detect it for a few seconds then they will all dissappear and it will only show out of range. Does this ring any bells?

Sadly this issue keeps coming up with some Samsung tablets, and occasionally their phones as well.

Hmm. I would try seeing if it will connect to any public wifi. Say at a library or cafe. If it won't there could be a couple of reasons.

The time and date on the devices could be not reading correctly. Strange as it sounds, this can cause it. So you need to check this on both the tablet and the modem/router. Also, make sure the modem/router is also set to be in the states and in your correct time zone. You would be surprised how many times it isn't. And while your other devices work fine, this could still cause issues with the tablet.

Another option is to restart the modem/router and restart the tablet as well. Yes I know it works with other devices, but it can't hurt.

I would also suggest making sure that the tablet is fully updated. Check for any firmware updates. You can connect to a computer, via USB, to do this if the wifi is still not connecting.

One more thing to try, the antenna in the device may have come partially or completely loose. Can happen if knocked around, dropped, or it wasn't ever really secured correctly. To check that you would have to open the device and make sure it's connection isn't loose.

This link to the manual for the device should help you as well. http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/sam_galaxy_tablet/sam_galaxy.pdf

Solution

Natalie_7

Commendable
May 17, 2016

Natalie_7

Commendable
May 17, 2016
Thank you! I will try it on a public wifi. I am letting the battery run out to see if a soft reset helps. The idea that it's the antenna seems very plausible!