GT I8200N continuously pings

Peter Williams

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
Yesterday I had a flat battery on my GT I8200N
I connected to a wall charger and then started to hear a continuous ping (1 per second)
I disconnected from the charger and no change - still pings.
I turned the WI_FI OFF and then back ON
The problem appeared to go away - but just for a few minutes
I recently introduced a wireless printer and noticed this could be seen (as a WI-FI device) although not connected
I turned OFF the printer - but the pinging continues

I normally have my phone in a USB charging cradle and connected to desktop software.

I 'played' with the volume settings and this is a 'notification' ping. I have therefore turned this volume down until I can find a solution.

Just no idea what to do to find out what is creating this ping or indeed how to stop it

Solution
I totally understand, but it is usually best to try. In most cases people have tons of things on their device, and have often never backed up anything. Then you want to try to get the data before a "Hard Reset". This is why I always recommend backing up regularly!

I am glad it got a sorted.
It sounds like it may be an app causing the issue. Do you have any wifi finding apps on the phone? or have it set to search for wifi?

If you have either, it will ping every time it detects a wifi hotspot. It doesn't have to be your own, although that is more likely, it could even be a neighbors.

Also, the same could be said for bluetooth connections.

Peter Williams

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

You may be correct but can't find anything. The only recent change was the HP WI-FI printer. I now have switched printer off and removed (think) plugin. Only have 3 - 4 of my own apps other than all the standard stuff. No BlueTooth devices or connection set

The phone was recently repaired by Samsung (6 months old). Possibly do a complete reset

Peter Williams

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

Peter Williams

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
webworkings
Thanks again for your response.
I had complete backups - using MyPhoneExplorer (and only just come back from Samsung) - and settled for the Hard Reset and happily completed with restore etc.
All complete - almost wish I had taken this option first rather then wasting hours trying to find a cause.

I totally understand, but it is usually best to try. In most cases people have tons of things on their device, and have often never backed up anything. Then you want to try to get the data before a "Hard Reset". This is why I always recommend backing up regularly!

I am glad it got a sorted.

Solution