Sakkura

Distinguished
The Rift is generally better for seated experiences, the Vive is generally better for room-scale experiences. They are capable of basically all the same things though, at least once Rift gets its Touch controllers.

The Rift has better comfort and convenience features, and is easier to set up. It also costs less in the short run (but adding the Touch controllers should even that out). The Vive comes with its motion controllers though, which means a slew of content that requires motion controllers is available right now, where you'd have to wait for controllers if you got a Rift.

larsv8

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Don't know what is the best, but I personally have the Vive and I like it quite a bit. We have had 5-6 "VR parties" and everybody really has a blast. Sometimes I wish there was a tad bit more content, but hey, early adopters and all.

bang9

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
all depends on your space if you have room go vive if not go rift.
i personally have the rift with 2 sensor set up. its good but i feel bit limited so going have to buy more sensor 2 more in fact.
but the breaking point for me was the size of vives controller far to big, rifts are very small and really good.
so it comes down to room imho.
but as stated vive has steam support atm but with rift going in to room tracking you could start see that changing

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
Actually, for the time the "Best Answer" is 100% and it is still accurate. :)
All the answers here are generally correct. I mean, you could argue lacking deep technical details.. but none of them are invalid.

Sakkura

Distinguished

It is just plain wrong, 100% wrong. The Rift worked on Steam just fine in May 2016.

adamscurr

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
To me, they are kinda interchangeable now... I own a Vive, but the deals rift is putting out right now makes it a really competitive choice. I do enjoy the whole room experience on the Vive though. You pay a lot more though...

Also, I'm pretty sure you can run you rift on steam. I have been running rift games with my vive as well, but I think it is a little more wonky... :)

Adam