How to use sd card for updates to my game

terrigatton

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
My game is on my new sd card but I still get "not enough space" to update. How can I get it to update on sd card?

Solution
Oh no, I did get that. Hence my answer. There is no way to "Add" space to an SD card. Not unless you remove items off the card (say other files, that are not related to the game). However, that doesn't mean moving them off the card will give you enough room. There may just not be enough room on the card for the update, no matter what you do. If that is the case, it would require you have the game on a larger (more gigs) card.

Because, let's say the card is 16gb, which is never actually 16 free, and you said there is 7.35 free, that means 8.65 is being used. If it is "all" being used by the game, then when it wants to update, it "may" need enough room to be over double what the games size is now. This is because some games do more than...
Unfortunately, if the card is saying there is not enough room, then there isn't. The only options you have to make room is to either remove all other stuff from the card (and this still may not be enough) or get yourself a bigger SD Card. Personally I would suggest both. Getting a new, bigger (more gigs) card, as well as keeping less on the card (the new card), this way you won't run into that problem again.

You, however, will have to remove the game from the card you are currently using and then install it on the new card.

terrigatton

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016

terrigatton

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
Sorry.
Guess I wasn't clear. My sd card is alnost empty, I have 7.35 gb's on it. I try to update the only game I have, that game I moved to sd card but when I try to update the game I get the same "not enough storage" error. I need to update the game using the space on my sd card.
I hope I'm more clear in what I need to know. Thank you!!!

Oh no, I did get that. Hence my answer. There is no way to "Add" space to an SD card. Not unless you remove items off the card (say other files, that are not related to the game). However, that doesn't mean moving them off the card will give you enough room. There may just not be enough room on the card for the update, no matter what you do. If that is the case, it would require you have the game on a larger (more gigs) card.

Because, let's say the card is 16gb, which is never actually 16 free, and you said there is 7.35 free, that means 8.65 is being used. If it is "all" being used by the game, then when it wants to update, it "may" need enough room to be over double what the games size is now. This is because some games do more than just add a small amount of data during an update. Some require the entire game be altered. Meaning you would not have nearly enough space on the SD card.

A larger card, say 32gb or even a 64gb, then you would have more than enough space for your game, any updates it required and lots of other things.

The only other thing I can think of might be the problem, is if the update is just not allowing it to be done on a card. Which can give a false "not enough space" message. But I highly doubt that is the problem.

Solution