How do I set SD card as default download location on LG G4?

ymaz108

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014
Hello,

I have LG G4, and need some help.
When I take pictures, I have set to save them in SD Card storage, but any download from Google Chrome goes right in to device download folder...
I don't see My Files app like I read for Samsung device, but I have File Manager, which I don't see any Settings to change the default download folder...

Thank you in advance!

Solution
Unfortunately, that is the only way to make it internal. You could save the images and info you already have either back to the device, to a cloud account, or to a computer, while you make the change. Then just move them back to the card after the formatting. I would suggest moving them to either a cloud account or a computer, as you can move all of them at once. Then you can move them all back at once. Which is a lot faster.
Well it depends. If you are running the original OS, which is Lollipop, then you cannot. However, if you are running the updated Marshmallow, you may be able to set it as internal, rather than external. I know a few phone companies are restricting the ability to do that, but I cannot say if it was on your phone or not, since the phone was set up with a prior version.

However, I must note, that doing this will wipe the card. So anything you had on it would be lost, and the card then would no longer work on any other device. Should you then choose, at some time, to change it back to external, then you would again risk loss of what is on the card.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on Marshmallow.

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

ymaz108

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014

Wow... really? It will wipe clean of what I already have? I had set to save photos I take by the camera and any edited photos to SD Card, and I have A LOT.
That's a bummer...

I guess I have to deal with moving each downloaded image to SD Card manually every time I download... :(

Thank you for the information.

Unfortunately, that is the only way to make it internal. You could save the images and info you already have either back to the device, to a cloud account, or to a computer, while you make the change. Then just move them back to the card after the formatting. I would suggest moving them to either a cloud account or a computer, as you can move all of them at once. Then you can move them all back at once. Which is a lot faster.

Solution

Yrrehc

Commendable
May 12, 2016
I had also the same problem as yours. I bought new sd card which has 32gb,but unfortunately I can't use it without manually transferring any files from phone to sd card. And the thing that makes me upset was that I can't download movies that I want coz it was full already thinking that all my downloaded files was transferred to my sd card. So annoying and irritating.

spookymyo

Commendable
Mar 14, 2016

If you have Tasker and are rooted you can automate the task. Each time you download something from Chrome, Tasker will move it from the internal SD card to the external SD card.

acontrario

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Hello,
I have no genuine solution, just a workaround.
I use an old Samsung S5 6.0.1 SM-G00FD and SD card 16GB (class 4) with plenty of space (lots of photos & apps but I need to empty to PC periodically). It works very well for my needs (my first mobile internet phone in Brussels was a Handspring 180 with Blazer as browser only in 2002)

Phone: 11.7 total size shown on PC / 1.37 free, SD card: 14.8 total shown on PC / 9.56 free after clean-up.

I cannot setup SD Card as Internal (I cannot find this feature as available). I could understand that I may indeed degrade performance if the phone would have to adapt to the lowest of internal or SD card speeds.

I use the setting
Settings -> Applications -> Internet -> Advanced -> Save content to [SD card, Device], I selected: SD card

I have two Android browsers
1) Internet (native Android I guess)
2) Chrome (set as default)
I tested the following on my mobile phone: with the above setting,
- the 'Internet' browser sends its downloads to the 'SD card' as directed by the mobile parameter; but,
- the 'Chrome' browser still sends its downloads to the 'device' (local Android storage), so does not use the mobile settings & clogs its prime space.

I could not find a setting in Chrome settings (in App info or App settings) dealing with download folder target.

Strange.

Workaround solutions remain either emptying prime local storage download folder from time to time or using the native Internet app when downloading a lot or large size files.

suedenyms

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017