Defender had Detected Items but scans or popup warnings never showed them

blahcomp222

Estimable
Mar 23, 2014
My Windows 8.1 PC used to do a full Defender scan in about 8 minutes. A few days ago it wouldn't complete a scan after 13 hours, the progress bar was only like %3 done. I made a thread. Someone suggested scan in safe mode. I didn't do safe mode but I scanned again and after about 15 hours, it completed.

I Scan at least once a day and same with spybott. Spybot only ever finds Minor 'green' threats like cookies or browser history etc. Defender has never popped up or had a scan finish saying that anything was found.
But after this Defender scan finally finished, I checked (I think for the first time ever) the Detected Items list in it and found about 8 Sever 'Exploit" items. I should have written them down I guess but I just did Remove All. The Severe items said they were only from about 3 weeks to a week ago detected which is in line with how the scan was all of a sudden taking forever.

Should I worry about this?
I scanned again and as always, No Detected Items are found. the Detected Items list is also blank.

What else can I run like hijack this, malware bytes etc that won't interfere with Spybot and Defender? I have tried using as many scan tools as I can but there's always some stupid thing that makes one cause my main Defender protection to disable.

Hackers should be put in a dark cell forever.

thejackal85

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016
I have to be honest, I've been a tech for over 20 years and I have never heard of Defender. Are you sure this is a reliable program? If it isn't, that might be why one of the other ones causes it to "disable" when it's really trying to remove the threat that Defender could be.

All of the programs you listed all do the same thing, they scan for threats and let you know of the results and what you can do. However, out of all the ones you mentioned, I recommend Malwarebytes and Spybot. I would uninstall Defender and the others and stick with these two.

The other thing about this, too, you can have all the protection in the world on your PC, something will still slip through. It's just how it is using the internet, its not fair and it sucks, but that's the chance you take. Lastly, FYI, not all hackers are bad.

blahcomp222

Estimable
Mar 23, 2014
Widows DEFENDER. Everyone's heard of it.
As I said, I scanned and it never in years showed any threats then I noticed in the Detected items tab, it showed a few Severe threats. I Removed All. I scanned again, and they showed again. They are:

Exploit:HTML/Axpergle.AK

exploit:js/axpergle.BW

then I Remove All. Scanned again, and there's nothing in Detected Items Tab, as of now... Very upset.

blahcomp222

Estimable
Mar 23, 2014
Exploit:HTML/Axpergle.AK

exploit:js/axpergle.BW

^ are no longer found. I google them and a Microsoft website says Windows Defender will take care of them. Hopefully they never return.

TRENDING THREADS