Trouble upgrading processor on an Asus motherboard

Todd_14

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016
Hi, folks. I'm stumped:

I built my own PC a few years ago. I used an Asus P7H55-M Pro motherboard.

When I built it, I used a Core i3 processor (LGA 1156), but I planned to eventually upgrade that to an i5 or i7 processor.

That brings me to today. I replaced the i3 with a compatible i7 processor, but when I tried to start the machine, the fans turned out, and everything seemed fine, but I got one long beep and three short beeps. The monitor doesn't work, and, eventually, it shut itself down.

I thought I must have done it wrong, so I did it again. The same thing happened.

When I replaced the i7 with the original i3, everything was great.

The BIOS are up to date.

I know there's probably something every obvious that I'm overlooking, but I can't figure it out, and I can't find the solution online anywhere.

Any ideas? Is there some setting in the bios that I need to reset or something?

Thanks in advance.

Solution

Thanks for the reply!

It's an Intel Core i7 860 Processor 2.80 GHz 8 MB LGA1156, but I think I figured it out:

I found a website that said the beeps (one long, three short) mean either a memory error or a graphics error. Since it worked fine with the original i3 CPU, I popped in a graphics card, and it worked.

It's kind of sluggish (I'll make a few tweaks tonight), but, apparently, that model of CPU with that model of motherboard needs a graphics card.

I don't know this is true of all i7 CPUs, but it's true for that one.

Todd_14

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016

Thanks for the reply!

It's an Intel Core i7 860 Processor 2.80 GHz 8 MB LGA1156, but I think I figured it out:

I found a website that said the beeps (one long, three short) mean either a memory error or a graphics error. Since it worked fine with the original i3 CPU, I popped in a graphics card, and it worked.

It's kind of sluggish (I'll make a few tweaks tonight), but, apparently, that model of CPU with that model of motherboard needs a graphics card.

I don't know this is true of all i7 CPUs, but it's true for that one.

Solution