Windows Vista no sound using hdmi to lcd tv

Stv1210

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
I have a Gateway GT5692 ( I think )system and one day I turned it on and all I got was a black screen with a cursor and the dvd-rw drive wouldn't read a disc. I went to use the restore disc and got it back to normal except there is no sound coming from my lcd tv. I went to control panel, got the check mark on the tv as the default and when I play music on iTunes or windows media player it shows the bar lighting up and down like it had sound but I'm not hearing anything. I tried raising the volume on the tv but nothing still. I downloaded the repair tool thing and it installed fine but it didn't help the sound issue, I've read other threads with the same problem and tried their solutions but nothing has worked for me. I've tried restoring the computer 2-3 times and it still doesn't have sound. Btw, I replaced the dvd-rw drive with another one in a different tower computer I wasn't using, it works fine. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stv1210

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
there is a yellow check on the video part but not the sound.

AMD Phenom 8450 triple core processor 2.10ghz
4gb ram 64bit OS.

Ive got to go home and see what the video card is, I know its ATI Radeon something

Stv1210

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
The yellow check mark is on Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, and when I opened the Directx Diagnostic tool it doesnt say what the name of my video card is. I googled my computer and I believe the ATI Radeon 3200 is the one I have

DanielDI

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016
It worked but in my laptop I first went to control panel then sound like you said then it had a little tab on top it said playback and it had the name of my tv, I selected it and set as a default..

Stv1210

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
I have a problem with downloading the auto detect thing, I dont have internet at home.

I downloaded the radeon suite and something else when I found my HD 3000 series driver.

Stv1210

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
Even if I dont have internet on my computer at home? The Catalyst software suite is all I need?

Stv1210

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
I got my sound back, it says I need to download Microsoft .net framework 3.5 to use catalyst. Also playing my dvd's are choppy, will the framework 3.5 help that?