Moving my SD card from my old S4 to my new S7 - won't work!

Superloop

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Hi Folks

Got a nice shiny new Samsung Galaxy S7 but all my apps were on the SD card of my old S4 - obviously ran out of space which is one of the main reasons I got the S7. For the life of my and Google searches I cannot find a way to move this to the new phone - the obvious first attempt is just moving the card. That doesn't work.

Would be most grateful for a solution because I've had the S7 for weeks now and haven't even used it because all my apps are on the SD card!

Many thanks in advance
R

Solution
Sorry for the bad news. The same applies in Windows because everything is loaded into the Registry regardless of which disk it's installed on. Although you can get round that in Windows by cloning the entire system to a new disk but that can't be done in Android without a thorough knowledge of Linux command line coding.
Programmes won't migrate because they're based in the system on which they were installed, even if that was to an SSD Card. The new phone just doesn't know they're there.

I'm afraid you need to install them all so either let that card go with the old phone to increase its sale value or wipe it and start again.

Superloop

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Thanks Saga Lout

That's what I've been told but I couldn't believe that with all the incredible technology at our fingertips today, there isn't a simple plug and play solution. A very tech-savvy friend of mine found a rather complex way of doing it that automatically roots the new phone does the link and then un-roots it again. Sounds like a saga - if you'll excuse the use of your name in that;)

It is over 10 gigs of Apps including maps for my flying software as well as all the data associated so that is why I've not bothered to take the WHOLE DAY it would probably take to start fresh.

Oh well. Thanks so much for the confirmation of doom!

Regards
R

Sorry for the bad news. The same applies in Windows because everything is loaded into the Registry regardless of which disk it's installed on. Although you can get round that in Windows by cloning the entire system to a new disk but that can't be done in Android without a thorough knowledge of Linux command line coding.

Solution