I have a EEE Transformer that has been taken over by the AFP Bug and I can't even get into Settings to do a factory re-boot. A

Prionsias

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
I have a EEE Transformer that has been taken over by the AFP Bug and I can't even get into Settings to do a factory re-boot. The bug is supposed to come from the Australian Federal Police and demands a $200 fee to unlock my notebook.
I can't even get to the Settings before this AFP screen shows up and halts all further exploration.
I want to do a complete factory re-set and would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks,

Frank

Restart the machine and tap the Funtion 8 key as it powers up. If you can get into any of the Safe Mode options, preferably Safe Mode with Networking or with Command Prompt, try the following:-.

If you can get in, bring up the Command form and at the Prompt type
net user Administrator /active:yes
then press the Enter key.

Restart and choose Safe Mode with Networking. Log in as Administrator and go online to http://www.malwarebytes.org. Download MalwareBytes - the free one will do for now - and run the Full Scan then let it remove anything it found. That should give you access to your own account in the Normal mode.

Prionsias

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
This is not a solution - it is a reply to Saga Lout.
Saga, my EEE Transformer does not have a Function 8 key, nor any other number come to that. The top row of keys have various symbols, whose functions are a mystery to me. Can you offer any further help, please?
Cheers,

Frank

Hmm - sorry about that - I should have checked first. Yours is a different keyboard from the EEE PC I'm using at the moment.

However, I just found an image of your keyboard and although the iconography is different, the are five rows of keys so restart the machine and tap the key above the 7 and see if that acts the same as "normal" F8 keys.

Prionsias

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

Prionsias

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

I'm very sorry because I've been giving the wrong advice throughout. Function 8 won't do anything on an Android device. I mistakenly presumed a Windows system which is far more likely to be affected by a threat of this kind..

The only thing I can suggest now, having noticed which sub-Forum you posted in, is to turn the machine off then power it up again while holding the Volume Down button at the same time as the Power button. That should give you some options to take the system back to day one. It's not a perfect solution but it will restore use of the device.

Make one of the first Apps you install some anti-malware software - I find Lookout quite effective.

Prionsias

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
Hi, Saga,
I tried what you suggested, but it still did not work.I can get as far as Settings, but then the AFP page comes up and blocks me from doing anything further.
Cheers,

Frank

You need to press and hold the Volume Down button and then press the Power button. Nothing can cut in until the system staarts up but pressing those two together prevents the system from starting and gives you alternative options.

Sorry but if that doesn't work, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas and the device is a brick.

Prionsias

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016