Touchpad malfunctioning - Hardware or software?

DKhouse

Commendable
Mar 5, 2016
I have Windows 10 Toshiba. Randomly, the touchpad freezes. When this happens, I can sometimes restart or go into sleep mode and it will come back when turned back on. Thinking this is a software deal, I uninstalled the drivers, windows 10 reinstalled automatically - failed to fix. I downloaded and installed the newest driver from Toshiba and also from Synaptics - both failed to fix. I did a system restore to 2 weeks ago - failed to fix. I reset the pc - failed to fix. I tried to install drivers from safe mode - failed to fix. I have tried Troubleshooter. I have tried rolling back to a generic HID driver- failed to fix. I have turned off the Smart Sense and Filter Activation is set to 0. I turned off the "hide cursor while typing"My computer has the latest BIOS. I have ran System File Checker - no issues found. Many other attempts also have been successful.

So luckily I have a touchscreen too so that has helped this not to be a complete nightmare. Today, for instance, the touchpad worked for a couple hours and then disappeared. The properties page indicates that the device is working properly. The Troubleshooter continuously indicates that a restart is needed to finish updates - this never fixes the problem and when i run troubleshooter again after reboot, it says the same thing -"Restart your pc to finish updates" Any ideas would be helpful.