New intel i5 unlock or go for 955 black?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortstuff_mt

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
You need to re-word the question because what you're asking doesn't make any sense. You can't "unlock" an i5.

What will you be using the system for? The i5 750 and the Phenom II X4 955 are close in gaming, but the i5 is faster in most other tasks.

robin banks uk

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

Intel to launch new unlocked CPUs............... im new to overclocking&and making pcs what one would be best?

shortstuff_mt

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
Unlocked mainstream Intel chips are still in the rumor stage right now. It looks like there won't be a decent priced unlocked quad core chip anyway. The only ones in the works right now (assuming the rumor mill is even right) are the i7-875K and Core i5-655K CPUs. The i7 875K is supposed to be very expensive and the i5 655K is a dual-core chip.

I would make your decision either the i5 750 or Phenom II X4 955. Check the benchmarks for the games you want to play and the resolution you'll be gaming at. The benchmarks speak for themselves without forum fanbois getting in the way. The chips perform very close in gaming. There isn't really a "best" chip between the two for gaming.

robin banks uk

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

Unlocked mainstream Intel chips are still in the rumor? ok hmmm its been said Intel intends to officially announce both on the 28th May.

thanks for the help shortstuff_mt :)

Status
Not open for further replies.