...in the market for a laptop or 2 in 1 device...

Daniness

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
Hi all,

I'm in urgent need for a laptop or 2 in 1 device, as my current Dell Studio 17 is dying. I'm hoping to use the new device for programming, as I hope to teach myself Python, .Net, big data and SQL work. I'd also like to be able to use it to watch movies and surf the Net. It would be great if it travels well. Could you knowledgeable folks please give me your recommendations? Thanks in advance!

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
Around $1K

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
I prefer new

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
I think I'm interested in a 2-in 1 device, which I could use to work and to watch movies, etc.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
5 to7-inches
7.1 to 10-inches
10 to 13-inches
Above 13-inches
For portability's sake, 10-13 in.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
US

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
I've had Dell and HP laptops in the past and wasn't really impressed by their lifespans

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
About 8 hours

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
Programming in Java, Python, .Net, SQL, email, web surfing, word processing, entertainment

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
I've only owned Windows PC's; I also have a Kindle

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
MS Office, Google apps, Visual Studio, and whatever environment is needed to program in Python and Java

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
Not much of a gamer

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
I don't really do this, but it would be nice to have this capability

Screen Specifics
1. Any preference on screen resolution?
The optimal, so that I'd be able to see as much as possible on the device, especially when coding

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
See the above linked FAQ for guidance
Don't really plan on using the device outside

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
See the above linked FAQ for guidance
It would be nice to have a pen for basic note-taking/drawing

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
It would be nice to have optimal drive space and (expandable) memory, as I hope to be using this device for years to come

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
USB, SD would be necessary, but microSD would be ok...HDMI would not really be necessary, but wouldn't hurt

Misc
1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
Since I hope to use the device to learn to code, it would be great to include a keyboard, if it's a 2-in 1 device. Also, the ability to connect to external monitors would be great, to have more space to view code

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
None that I can currently think of