phone calls not working

pl1mpl1m

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016
Hi,

I have a severe problem with my iPhone 5S. Everything is working as it should except for making and receiving calls.

If I try to call someone the display first freezes for about 5 seconds (the red call button is all thats showing, no inputs from buttons work) , then it goes back to home screen. Next, back to the screen where I see that it is building up a connection (still no inputs sometimes working), next is see that there is a connection by the seconds counting upwards. I can't hear anything, the one who has been called can sometimes hear me. To end the call is also difficult since the buttons do rarely work. I viciously press everything and manage to somehow end the call.

Receiving calls is also very frustrating. When I pick up it won't stop vibrating. Here the only way to end the call is again angrily randomly hitting buttons.

I think I tried everything. I tried using a headset, no success. Then I called my provider. Back then (1 months ago) I (only) had periods of bad call quality in every second call, like feedback loops and silence. It was also during the call with the technician so they knew exactly the time. They checked their system and it was all ok from their side.

Then I went to the apple store and we reset the phone. It first seemed better but the error came back after one day and got worse to the point where I can't make calls anymore.

I got a new SIM card this week with no effect.

I consulted the support via chat. A diagnose of my phone did not bring any insights. Like the chat advised I completely reinstalled the iphone with itunes downloading the latest firmware. Using a brand new installed iphone did not do the trick.

I disabled iCloud, data, wlan. Did not change a thing.

Did anyone encounter something like this?

Solution
If a new phone did not fix this, it's an issue with your service provider, does this happen everywhere or just in certain areas? You can ask for a new SIM card and have them re-provision your service.

pl1mpl1m

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016

Getting a new phone was something I tried to avoid. I bought one today though. Everything seems fine so far. Hope it stays that way.