fudgecakes99

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014
General discussion opinions on which you guys prefer. Any advice/insight is appreciated.

Disregarding the fact it would take at least 2 980 ti's to run either of the two major headsets on assuming max settings in most triple a titles that support it. (Though again entirely dependent on the game.)

HTC vive (2160x1080) and Oculus rift (2160x1200) @ 90hz each.
(Which is a weird frame rate? Which i'm assuming is each eye display, or is it cumulatively 90hz like 45hz each?)
Also would that be the highest frame rate it can hit? Or will games be natively(also weird that i'm getting a spelling check on natively, fairly certain that's a real word) designed around that restriction. Will it play at 60hz fine or would it be entirely dependent on game designers (which it obviously would regardless) i digress. Though i guess you can't really go off topic on a discussion, about headsets.

So, next question kind of. Which do you guys or girls prefer assuming you'd have to choose between the two aforementioned. Though if anyone else knows any "major"(of note) vr headsets, be sure to drop some information on that too. I personally feel like if i were to get one, i'd lean towards the valve backed one. Though i have to wonder if that choosing one over the other would have possible issues in terms of compatibility with games. A possible, Microsoft HD disc vs Sony(bda) Blu ray. Would their be a fight to see what becomes the next industry standard, or would it just be regarded as any other display technology. (If i get a horse in the race i don't wanna end up on the losing end.) Because from what i understand, vive has a completely different motion tracking tech then the rifts, and it's objectively better from what i hear. Or does it follow back to any other display technology making the extra motion control, a physx equivalent, a smoke um if you got it situation. As opposed to the two being totally different technologies.

Oh and if anyones used either vr headset. Whats the experience been? Is it jarring? Is it comfortable actually usable for more then 2 hours of play time? I have a 3d tv, and other then the obvious the 3d just looks paltry to an imax theater. It's physically painful to have prolonged 3d content. I'd assume it'd be better on an all encompassing headset, but just wanna be sure.

I realize the tech is still in it's consumer infancy, and that is the sin of early adopter's. I still would like to sign up for the htc vive pre order if the darn thing doesn't cost an insane amount.