No Sound from my TV to my Denon AVR-S910W

Mitchell03

Estimable
Feb 4, 2016
I have a Denon AVR-S910W. I have my cable box and xbox running through the receiver and have perfect sound and video going to my TV. When I want to watch Vudu or Netflix on my TV, I get no sound through the receiver speakers. Everything is running through brand new HDMI cables. My TV have an ARC HDMI and an (STB/DVI) HDMI. Why am I not getting sound through the TV HDMI into the Receiver?

Are you getting sound from the cable box and xbox on the receiver?
If so then your TV is not passing audio from streaming sources through the ARC connection. Try the optical audio out of the TV instead. It seems that some TVs don't send streaming audio out to external devices.
If you get no sound from anything on the receiver then make sure the receiver is plugged into the HDMI input labeled ARC and the ARC has been turned on in the TV and maybe the receiver menus?

Mitchell03

Estimable
Feb 4, 2016

Thank you for your suggestion.
Yes I am getting sound from the xbox and cable box. I have the HDMI cable plugged into the ARC on the TV and even tried the HDMI with (STB/DVI) on the TV. The ARC from the TV is going to the Monitor 1 HDMI ARC on the receiver.

I also tried using optical and got sound from the volume changing up and down when on a blank screen. As soon as it goes to Vudu on my TV there is no sound all together with or with out the Optical. I have a samsung 4K UHD model UN65JU670DF. I had a center speaker wireless sub hooked up before and it worked fine. Maybe there is a setting I am missing. Any other suggestion would be great

nellykc

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016
You need to switch your inputs under the setup button. Click setup on your denon remote. Go to inputs. Got to input assign. Go down to TV Audio and change the digital column to Opt1. I was having the same problem with the same exact equipment. Took me awhile to figure it out.

knight1530

Commendable
May 25, 2016

Mitchell. I have a Samsung smart TV connected to a Denon AVR 3200 receiver and had the same problem for months. As an interim measure I hooked up a Roku box. After reading several threads, I kept my original connection with the cable box running through the receiver. The only thing I added was an optical cable running from the tv to the receiver. You also have to go into your receiver setup and assign "TV Audio" to the optical cable. When I switch to smart TV apps I also change the input on the Denon remote to "TV Audio". The sound comes through the receiver with no problems. I hope this is helpful.
Wes