Intel wants to charge $50 to unlock stuff your CPU can already do

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/18/intel-wants-to-charge-50-to-unlock-stuff-your-cpu-can-already-d/

Hold onto your hyperthreaded horses, because this is liable to whip up an angry mob -- Intel's asking customers to pay extra if they want the full power of their store-bought silicon. An eagle-eyed Engadget reader was surfing the Best Buy shelves when he noticed this $50 card -- and sure enough, Intel websites confirm -- that lets you download software to unlock extra threads and cache on the new Pentium G6951 processor. Hardware.info got their hands on an early sample of the chip and discovered it's actually a full 1MB of L3 cache that's enabled plus HyperThreading support, which translates to a modest but noticeable upgrade. This isn't exactly an unprecedented move, as chip companies routinely sell hardware-locked chips all the time in a process known as binning, but there they have a simpler excuse -- binned chips are typically sold with cores or cache locked because that part of their silicon turned out defective after printing. This new idea is more akin to video games that let you "download" extra weapons and features, when those features were on the disc all along. Still, it's an intriguing business model, and before you unleash your rage in comments, you should know that Intel's just testing it out on this low-end processor in a few select markets for now

:pfff: just when you thought it was safe to go back to intel :non:

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006

I don't see the problem here.

So they sell processors without HT and with less L3 Cache enabled and if you purchase an upgrade card you can get these features enabled. I don't see anything wrong with that.

adaman2576

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
They are taking a page out of Apples book... Anyone remember being charged to enable the bluetooth chip in the ipod touch 2g???

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
but why the monkey business just open everything on the board and charge a little more
whats nexted $30 to get dx11 enabled on a graphic card or
my horse only comes with 3 legs but wait theres more give me $100 and we will unrap the forth leg
for crying out loud

Status
Not open for further replies.