Best Cable Modem 2015 (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Hoops

Estimable
Jan 9, 2016
Quick questions: My wife insists to get a router within the modem itself. Would you suggest to stay with the ARRIS/Mortorola brand? Like the 6580? I like that you tested all of these and gave a clear answer to the question.

pdc0625

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
I have had an SB 6141 on Comcast since 5/2015. I have had frequent loss of service at the modem level lasting 4 to 10 minutes - sometimes requiring a power cycle to restart service. I have tried to trouble shoot the problem by checking signal strength and error messages to no avail. Lengthy conversations with 4 different Comcast support representatives over this weekend have each time confirmed that as of November 2015, Comcast no longer supports the SB 6141 and a new installation with a SB 6141 will not activate. So, you had best buy something with DOCSIS 3.o if you wish to avoid disappointment. Here is where you can find a list of approved Comcast modems: http://mynewmodem.comcast.net/

rgd1101

Don't

I'm still using my docsis 2.0 modem from 18 years ago.
Their support are useless, last time I had a problem they said a modem is only good for 1 years because of "static" from being on all the time, then it performance go down hill. Not sure how your got resolve but for some reason if I disconnect my line from the cable splitter, and reconnect it, it reconnect, only happened once about 6-12 months.

loveperu

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016
I just found the same as PDC0625. My SB6141 purchased just 7 months ago is now considered "end of life" at comcast. I pay for Blast Pro 150mbps but I'm only able to get 50mbps through the modem. My wife and I both work from home and speed is necessary for productivity. Looks like I'm upgrading already...

_User1

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
Are these modems open to anyone on the network? I have the Arris SB6141, aka Motorola SB6141 and there's no provision to setting up a user name and password! I'm pretty sure this thing is open and the cable company can access. If they can, then by default someone on the cable company network can.

How can we secure it?

bucks13

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016
The situation with Comcast and modems is ridiculous. We have 2 locations with an SB6121 and an SB6141. Both excellent modems. However, our Comcast internet has been very spotty lately. I called to complain and they told me that those modems are EOL and can't support our "Blast" speed of over 100Mbps. However the stated capabilities of those modems are well OVER 100Mbps.

When I look at the http://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com page, I see these modems listed in red, however when you click to look at the details, it says "NO" in the End of Life field.

SO which is it Comcast?! EOL or NOT EOL? And why should it matter if it's EOL if the modem is still certified as a Docsis 3 modem and is capable of speeds in excess of what is provided?

I'm getting 20Mbps to 50Mbps on average and they're telling me that it's because the modems can't handle the faster speeds??? Can someone please explain how that makes any sense?

<UPDATE> Anyone?

theoriginalriot

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
hi I have a question, I currently have optimum as my service provider, however i need a cable modem that is compatible with landlines, these modems above do not support landlines, correct?

rgd1101

Don't

You mean DSL? correct, the article is a for cable modem, not DSL modem.

Philip_9

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016
If you purchased your own cable modem, how would you be able to test the signal or reboot the modem when you are not at home?

I have Optimum and I rent my modem and the benefit of renting the modem is this, I can test the signal and reboot the modem using Optimum's app and I don't have to be home. That is the only reason that I continue to rent the modem. I guess it doesn't matter if I use there modem or use my own. I still could use the App to test the signal.

teknophile

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
There are a few key areas where I disagree with this review:
Not sure about Cox/Time Warner, but Comcast is currently using 24 channels in their leased modems on devices capable of 32 channels. You'll need a SB6190 or equivalent device.
The manufacturers' listed speeds on these devices are wrong. If the device doesn't support the number of channels your cable provider uses, you won't get maximum speeds offered by your provider. (my SB6141 maxes out at 120Mbps down).

Your cost comparison doesn't include the cost of a comparable Wifi router. If you're buying your own devices, you should factor in the cost of a 802.11AC router AND a VoIP device. Thats an additional $130 - $350 depending on the router.

Stephen_94

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016
@teknophile "factor in router" Absolutely. This review is worthless to me since does not mention the wifi aspects. It is hard to find info on the effective speeds of wifi online.

xmBill

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
Philip_9: I know with Comcast you can reboot your modem from their website remotely in their troubleshooting section or you can even call their customer support line and reboot it from there without having to wait on a rep. Hope that helps.

Gburg20877

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
We are in the process of downgrading our Comcast Xfinity service from Triple Play to phone and data only and using a combination of Sling, Roku, and an OTA HD antenna for TV. Would I need a separate device for my phone service or just a different type of modem?

Timothy_51

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
How about a category for best combo wifi router/ cable modem? I'm not interested in buying two separate devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.