Is it safe to install BIOS version that supports earlier version of windows?

maged_rifaat

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015
i have windows 8.1 but i cant find the update for this version of windows on HP site although i can find the update for windows 7

maged_rifaat

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015

I cannot find the option to enable virtualize technology n the BIOS settings although it is supposed to be available for my processor(Q9550) the only solution i have is to update the BIOS

BIOS versions are not for support of OS versions. BIOS directly relates to hardware support. In that some hardware supports particular features of a particular OS, like GPT partitioning and secure boot, but any newer version of the BIOS should have all support that was included in prior versions of the bios, so upgrading won't diminish that support at all. If you are looking for support for a newer feature to support a feature of Windows 8.1, like UEFI hardware or GPT partitioning, and your motherboard is old enough, there may simply not be a newer revision available that has the features you are looking for.

maged_rifaat

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015

The motherboard is HP 3032h and the BIOS version is Hewlett-Packard 786G1 v01.08 and its date is 8/25/2008 (that is typically what i found in msinfo32.exe)
All i want is to have tha option to enable virtualize technology that the current version lacks but i have read that a wrong BIOS version could permenantly damage the motherboard