No temp readings after core unlock

PhunkySKunk

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
just upgraded from athlon 2 250 to phenom 2 x3 740 and successfully unlocked the fourth core so i have a phenom 2 x4 @3ghz. ive read that when you use acc to unlock cores coretemp can not read the temps anymore but speedfan can give you the cpu temp and the core temp is usually below the cpu temp. turns out speedfan has no temp reading and hwmonitor has no reading either. how do i figure out what the temps are. i have a xigmatek 1283 cooler and have not overclocked the cpu(yet). how do i figure out what the temps are when i try to overclock. also besides using acc to unlock cores is there another way because using acc is the only way i know of.

one more thing, i have a gigabyte board and it comes with easytune. in there under the tuner tab under core boost it is set to enable and are cores say enabled beside them which i assume is because i have set firmware to hybrid and enabled acc to auto and in the hw monitor tab it has under temperature- system 27c and cpu as 32c. is the 32c my cpu temp or the cores temp and how accurate is that. ive heard that this easytune software isnt that great. Any help would be great.

alextheawesome

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Once you unlock the cores, there is no way of getting the readings from the CPU. You can look at hwmonitor's reading of TMPIN1 (since you have a gigabyte board). This will give you the motherboard side of the socket's temperature readings, but this is not the actual temp of the CPU (mine is somewhere around 7C more).

wrazor

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Yeah, even I face the same problem. It seems not only core temp cannot read temps anymore it even recognizes my cpu as X4 625 and not as cpuz which reads it X4 B25. I posted to tell you that I read at a forum that coretemps may fix this issue in a new version. Also, you can try some AMD monitoring software. My apologies to put a question of my own, you may as well have the answer, "How do you change motherboard of an already unlocked cpu?" Do you have to lock it again, then swap it out? Or it will take care of itself? :eek: