Good graphics card, budget laptop?

tastykitkat

Estimable
Nov 4, 2015
Some background info: I want a laptop (not desktop) that can play games like skyrim, but one that I can also use for other things. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I do want to do some modding and have reasonable graphics. So I need a good graphics card, but as I stated, I'm not hardcore so I don't wanna spend money on a "gaming laptop" that has features that I probably won't use.

With all that in mind, is it possible to get a laptop that is under $800 (preferably way under this) that has a decent graphics card?
From my research, I have read that a NVDIA GeFore GTX 820m would do an alright job. But, is it possible to get on over 900m, when buying a "budget gaming laptop"? Because I think I want one that can do better than the bare minimum.

Greetings, kitkat:

I'm certainly not a hard-core gamer either, but I do enjoy playing games like GTA V, Tomb Raider and the Empire: Total War series. I can do this reasonably well with my GTX 860M card but not at anything like ultra settings.

I'm not familiar with Skyrim, but if it is similar in complexity to the games I mentioned above then this Dell might be it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PYYDMQ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B015PYYDMQ&linkCode=as2&tag=hubpages00b7e-20&linkId=QQL3FW6F4IQFYEDR

I'm afraid that if it has to be 'way under' $800, you're looking at a refurbished laptop or having to adjust your specifications. Refurbished laptops are by no means to be avoided, and if you feel you're "sitting on the fence", it might be the best solution for you at this moment.

Hope this made sense,
GreyCatz.

The Dell Inspiron 7559 is a more powerful laptop. It comes with a quad core i5-6300HQ and the more powerful GTX 960m. The Asus comes with a dual core i7-6500u and the less powerful GTX 950m. The Dell is definitely worth the extra $30.

For $490 you can get the following Acer laptop with a Core i5-5200u, 1080p screen and 940m. It is not as powerful as the Dell or the Asus, but it should be good enough to play Skyrim at 1080p with medium settings and decent performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315131&cm_re=acer_940m-_-34-315-131-_-Product