i3 5th , 8GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, windows 8 , could this be a very very lagged laptop??

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
just placed an order and completed the payment for this laptop on a retail . I had been hesitating for quite some time for either a Thinkpad carbon X1 or this cheap thing. I didn't realize that the claimed battery life is only **UP TO 4 HOURS**. Oh how can a laptop be useful for working only the max. 4 hours outside ???? UP TO 4 hours means practically it might only works for 3 hours or even less.

I've also just checked some reviews on lenovo website quite a lot of reviews said this G40 is very lagged and freezing all the times. But there are also some positive reviews.

Just a question - For a laptop with such spec. i3 , 8GB DDR3, 500GB , running on windows 8. Could it be very slow with just web browsing and downloading things??

Is **UP TO 4 hours** a very bad battery??

They allow amendments within the next few days, I don't know if I should spend 2 times more the price for a Carbon X1

A laptop with those specs should not be "laggy", but if you are used to using a computer with a SSD, then yes it can feel laggy because SSD have much higher read / write speeds. It's find for surfing and downloading; those things are more dependent on the speed of your internet.

4 hours claimed battery life is pretty typical of inexpensive laptops. Though the really inexpensive ones using Intel's low power / performance Atom CPUs can typically get 6 or 7 hours of battery life. An example would be the $200 HP Stream 11.

The ThinkPad Carbon X1 is a nice laptop, but it is not for everyone. Yes, it is light with battery life that has been tested to last up to 8 hours with continuous wifi websurfing, but it is pretty expensive. The least expensive one is selling for $1,142 on Lenovo's site. It makes for a very nice business laptop.

RababNoor

Estimable
Aug 22, 2015

If you want Better Battery,performance,Display,Looks & Build Quality then you have to choose Ultrabook like Lenovo Carbon X1.

Though the consumer level Laptop shows 4 hours battery on time, but you won't get not more than 2 hours on any Laptop brand.

And so for better experience Ultrabooks are emerged. After using an ultrabook for just 1 day, you will never get back to Consumer level Laptop. That how Double price comes from.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

I am not looking for the best. But I don't want to get something worse

I just wish if someone could tell me if i3 5th gen with 8GB DDR3 500GB would give a lagged experience with windows 8 when I only use the laptop to browse, checking email and to download files, almost nothing else. I don't play games , I don't do graphics.

But I will often upload files to remote web server (something like cloud storage), would ''uploading'' drains battery very quickly?? **UP TO 4 HOURS** is my biggest worry

I am NOT worried at all about screen resolution, SSD speed, look and size of the laptops

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

I don't let the **UP TO 4 HOURS** laptop to play any sound (i don't listen to music). I don't use the built-in webcam (I seldom use webcam). Most likely I will use it to browsing the web around, downloading things and uploading things, dealing with online bank and skype (text only).

Can the fully-charged battery survive for 3 hours practically??

Does Anyone thinks I should make amendments for a Dell laptop which is i5 and with battery of claimed hours **UP TO 6 hours**, anything else is almost the same. It will be approx. equv to $120 American bucks more for that.

Should I ? Or just stick to this i3 with ** UP TO 4 hours ** battery is fine enough?

In fact, I never used a SSD computer, what is their practical and the most obvious difference ? what kind of tasks/ execution can tell the difference clearly??

Thank you

A SSD is simply like an extremely fast hard drive. I think there are some high end laptops that can boot to the Windows log in screen within 10 seconds. I would say typical boot time would be 15 - 20 seconds. Laptops with hard drives will probably take 40 - 50 seconds to get to the log in screen. Programs load / close faster.

naturesninja

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

WOW, 2 Hours? I haven't come across a laptop that is only good for two hours since the days of NiCad. Even my GT72 power hog gets near 4 hours browsing.